Prologue/Chapter 1

Prologue

He stood on the deck of the ship, gazing back at the Vermillion City harbor. "A fine vessel, Lieutenant. With a ship like this, I expect a greater number of product."

The man he was speaking to, dressed in army camouflage, shades on his eyes, wore a confident smile. His Pokémon, a short, orange critter with pointy ears and a lightning-bolt tail shared his expression. "The money will be enormous, sir. I'm happy to take part in such a fine undertaking."

"Raichu!" said the Pokémon in agreement.

"Good, Lieutenant," said the first man. "However, I hope that our actions are still rather, how would we say, under the radar."

"Of course, boss," replied the Lieutenant. "But who's going to stop us? I mean, we are the supreme Pokémon Trainers in all of Kanto. It's been almost fifteen years since anyone has even defeated at least three Gym Leaders. It's the perfect time to launch your master plan, with the land so void of any real talent or threat."

"Your arrogance clouds your mind," said the boss. "We must always be wary of any potential threats to our plans... and the Elite Four must not know about this."

The Lieutenant scoffed. "The Elite Four? They're too busy with their fancy parties and public appearances to get their hands dirty."

The Boss turned back towards his quarters on the cruise liner. "Then we must continue to distract them." His phone rang. The boss saw the number, and quickly answered the phone. "What is it, doctor?"

The voice on the other end responded in a concernedly. "I've got good news and bad news, and really bad news."

"Well?" The boss was beginning to lose his temper.

"Sir, the experiment was a success...that's the good news." Pause. "It escaped...It was too much for us, he defeated all of our Pokémon with ease..." The Doctor's voice grew shakier. "Lance of the Elite Four is on his way to investigate."

"Make something up, Doctor, tell him something else," the boss was suddenly calm. "I have confidence in you. I have an appointment with a friend in Saffron City." He turned to the Lieutenant. "I expect the first shipment in Celadon City in a month."

The camouflaged-clad man in sunglasses saluted him. "Of course, Boss."

Chapter 1:

The Explosion

PALLET TOWN-

The alarm clock sounded. Red awoke anxiously. Today's the day! He thought excitedly. Today's the day I get my first Pokémon! Red had just turned 14, and he had graduated at the top of his class in Pokémon Trainers School. He had been certified by Pokémon League officials. Even a couple members of the prestigious Elite Four had attended his graduation. The old woman of the Elite Four congratulated him herself.

"We look forward to great things from you, young Red of Pallet Town," she had said. Every time he had thought of this moment, Red had to remind himself that she probably said this to everyone.

To be part of the Elite Four was a great honor. They were the four best Pokémon trainers in all of Kanto. Their Pokémon were battle tested, and strong beyond belief. They could easily handle a battle with any of Kanto's regional Gym Leaders with but one of their Pokémon.

The world of Pokémon is large and vast, you see. And our story takes place in but a part of it, the Kanto region. In Kanto, their celebrities are Pokémon Trainers. Trainers raise their Pokémon to battle other trainers to gain glory.