Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Bugs

Viridian City Pokémon Center-

Red and Blue had spent the night in the Pokémon Center. A new day had arrived, and Red was anxious to find the nearest Gym to challenge its leader. The Viridian City Gym still wasn't ready for challenges, so the two companions had to travel elsewhere to take the first step in their journey. Red decided that he'd ask the Nurse, as she seemed like someone who knew where to start.

"Well, I guess Pewter City would be the next closest town with a Gym," she said. "Just go north, take Route 2, go through Viridian Forest, and Walla! Pewter City."

"Thank you, ma'am!" said Blue. As she turned away and they were leaving the Pokémon Center, the nurse had something else to add.

"Oh I almost forgot! Viridian Forest is filled with Bug-type Pokémon!"

Blue froze in her tracks. She hated Bugs.

"Are you OK?" asked Red. "Blue isn't scared of some wittle bitty bugs is she?"

"Of course not!" snapped Blue. They just gave her the creeps.

Soon, Viridian City's buildings were behind them, they were on Route 2. Route two was a lovely straight path, leading to a thick forest, with mountains behind them. If one were to look north and west, the massive Indigo Plateau could be seen in the distance, with the tiny speck of the great stadium on top.

That's what all this is for, thought Red. To be the best of the best.

Eventually, the trees grew thicker and closer together. The sun was blotted out, and only a thin ray of light could be seen shining through the thick treetops. Red and Blue walked a little further, until they came upon a young boy with a wide-brimmed hat, and a net resting by one of the trees. He was about the same age as them. He awoke suddenly when Red and Blue were about to walk by and into the Viridian Forest itself.

"Hey!" he shouted. "Where do you think you're going?" Blue was startled at his sudden awakening. Red answered.

"We're going through Viridian Forest to get to Pewter City. Is that a problem?" Red flashed one of his Poke-balls in an attempt to intimidate the boy into backing down. The boy pulled out a Poke-ball of his own.

"Viridian Forest is full of bug-type Pokémon!" the boy said. "It is my job as a Bug Catcher that I test your abilities and see if you are worthy of facing the creepy crawlies that lay within the forest! Go Caterpie!" Out of the boy's Poke-ball came a small, ugly, green caterpillar like Pokémon big round eyes and a single forked red antenna on its head.

Red was just about to reach for Squirtle's Poke-ball when Blue stopped him. "Red! Bug type Pokémon are weak against Flying types like Charmander was weak to Squirtle!"