Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Misty

Somewhere Underground-

The Boss's phone rang. "What is it, Lieutenant?"

The man on the other line stood on the deck of the ship. He wore camouflage and sunglasses. "The ship is prepared. We've sent out invitations to many Pokémon Trainers and collectors. They think they're coming to a high-class party cruise."

"How do you propose to steal all of these Pokémon with their Trainers present?" the Boss was urgent. "I don't want another Cinnabar Island or Mt. Moon incident on my hands. You haven't let me down yet, this better not be the first time."

"Don't worry, Boss," said the Lieutenant. He walked over to a crate labeled "Collective Parasect Sleep Powder extract HIGHLY DANGEROUS". "We've got just the thing. Those unsuspecting Trainers will be sweet dreaming."

Cerulean City Gym-

"Go, Staryu!" Misty sent out of a Poke-ball a brownish-yellow starfish Pokémon about two feet tall. It had a spherical ruby at its center. Staryu landed in the water with a splash, and was twirling and spinning under the water like a ninja star. It glided from one end of the aquarium to the other. Blue thought it looked like Staryu was putting on a show.

"If there's one thing I've learned from my Gym Battles," began Red, "It's that water conducts electricity! I choose you, Pikachu!" Pikachu came out of its Poke-ball and landed on a one of the rafts. Staryu fluttered through the water in all directions as Pikachu tried to track it down, walking from one end of the raft to another.

"Use Rapid Spin, Staryu!" commanded Misty. Staryu disappeared from Pikachu's sight, but Blue and Lorelei could see where it went. Staryu had made its way to the very bottom of the aquarium, directly under Pikachu's circle-shaped raft. Suddenly, it leapt from the floor and spun so fast it looked like a circular blur. It hit the raft from below, sending Pikachu skyward. While Pikachu was flying through the air, Staryu leapt out of the water, still spinning, and hit the yellow mouse on its way down. The spinning arms hit Pikachu like the blades of a ceiling fan.

Pikachu landed in the water, and tried with all its might to swim to the nearest, triangle-shaped raft. Red had a plan, but he didn't know if he should execute it. Suddenly, there was a glimmer of hope as Red's Pokedex began to beep as they did when a Pokémon was able to learn a new technique. He pulled it out in a hurry. He didn't care what the new move was; he was going to use it regardless.

"Pikachu, use 'Double Team!'" Pikachu understood like the new attack had been inside it the whole time. As Staryu hit it out of the water once more, the Electric-Pokémon landed on a raft. It started running in circles at a blazing speed until it seemed to the naked eye that there were two Pikachu. Staryu, confused at what it saw, came to the surface and tried to make heads or tails of the situation.

The two Pikachu's stuck their tongues out at Staryu and started taunting it. Staryu got angry and dove back down to the bottom of the aquarium to launch another Rapid Spin. Meanwhile the two Pikachu's started bouncing from one raft to the other. They would each be on a separate raft and almost cross at the peak of their bounds. Staryu picked out one of them and launched itself with all its might. It made a bad choice.