Chapter 9

Chapter 9:

Blue vs Billy

Viridian City-

Red and Blue were walking back to the Pokémon Center, when the sky began to turn to evening. As they got closer, Blue saw the silhouette of Billy, the boy who had pestered her at the Pokémon Center.

"There you are, little girl!" he said. "I thought you had chickened out. Here are the rules, one on one, and I got the perfect Pokémon to counter your little pet Nidoran!"

"Oh?" remarked Blue. "We'll see."

"Go, Sandshrew!" Out of the Poke-ball that Billy held popped a small yellow hedgehog-like Pokémon, but without the quills.

"What if I don't use Nidoran?" asked Blue. Nidoran looked at Blue, she wanted to fight. "I've got another Pokémon that just might be too much for you!"

"You're bluffing!" said Billy.

In response to Billy's call, Blue pulled out a Poke-ball, and released the Pokémon that Professor Oak had given her: Bulbasaur.

"Fine, Sandshrew can take that little punk! Use Scratch!" Sandshrew waddled over to Bulbasaur and scratched it. Bulbasaur appeared like nothing happened.

Blue looked at her Pokedex to check out what kind of moves that Bulbasaur knew.

"Use Tackle Bulbasaur!" Bulbasaur threw Sandshrew aside with its head, then chased after it. Bulbasaur was like a bull in a rodeo. It kept going after Sandshrew long after it had fainted. Bulbasaur was trying to prove something. Its message was received.

"That Pokémon is a monster!" said Billy as he picked up Sandshrew and ran inside the Pokémon center, anxious to heal his Pokémon.

"Bulbasaur return!" Blue recalled Bulbasaur back into its Poke-ball. "I've been in so many battles…but…I've never seen a Pokémon act like that before. What could've gotten into it?"

They walked inside the Pokémon Center, and handed their Pokémon to the nurse. As they sat down, Red remembered something.

"Hey Blue," Red said. Blue looked at him. "When Green and I were picking which Pokémon we were going to start with, Green was really mean and rude to Bulbasaur. You could tell that its feelings were hurt really badly. Maybe Bulbasaur was trying to show you that it would do whatever it takes to make you proud. I think it was trying to make you like it."

Blue suddenly understood. "Yeah," she said. "So now that we're here, where do we go next?"

Red looked at her. He hadn't really thought about him and Blue and when they would part ways. "Well," he said, "I'm going to beat all of the Gyms, and become the Pokémon league Champion, that's what I'm aiming for."

The Chansey delivered their Pokémon back. Blue released Nidoran, and held her. "You know," she said, "I think it's cool that you know what you want to do…I just want to travel the world, and meet many new Pokémon…and…I think we would make a great team. I'll support you in your Gym Battles, and I can tag along with you and see so many new places!"

Red took his Poke-balls back and smiled. "Sounds like a great plan!"

Somewhere Underground-

He was in his office, reading some journal entries about the escaped experimental Pokémon that had been salvaged from the lab in Cinnabar Island. One of his men walked in the door. He wore a black karate outfit with a red headband.

"So, what have you found out, Captain?" the Boss asked.

"Boss, our sources tell us that the legendary Moon Stone is at Mt. Moon," he laid maps and photographs on his superior's desk. "I request permission to personally lead the expedition myself."

The Boss closed his eyes and thought for a moment.

"Permission granted, Captain," he said after a long while. "The time has come for Team Rocket to reveal itself to Kanto."