Ch 7: Getting to know you

Time passed slowly and happily for Kiran. They met regularly. Sometime they went to movies, other times for walks on beech. But most of the time they played online games in his flat. She slowly got to know him better. He was an only child. He loved his dad. He was a vegetarian. He rarely got angry. Rahul was his childhood friend. He loved extreme sports.

She couldn't be his girlfriend but she became his friend. She realised that he was very popular in university and people noted everything about him. She became discreet for his sake. She waited behind trees and looked at him from afar. Although they were friends now but she was not allowed to hang around with him when his friends were present. She knew he did not loved her but still he was giving her a chance. So, she tried to please him in every way possible. He liked traditional women. So, she tried dressing in sari and behave more appropriately at least in public. When she was alone in flat then she became her usual self.

She knew people speculated on their relationship and most of them thought very cheap things but she didn't care. She knew what they thought was wrong. Her relationship with him was very platonic. They always kept a physical distance but then one night everything happened. They became lovers and looking back she couldn't understand how it happened.

She was playing game with him online in his flat and he had thoroughly beaten her. Then he had snatched her French fries. She had retaliated by taking a big bite out of his burger.

He had laid down on floor and had mocked her, 'woman you say you love me yet you can't give me your fries.''

Kiran had replied,'' heart and stomach are two different organ. No connection. ''

Adiraj had smiled and said,'' stay as my friend. Leave this love crap.it doesn't suit you.''

Kiran, ''why''

He had closed his eyes and put his arm over his eyes.

Kiran insisted on knowing,''Adiraj!!!.''

Adiraj mumbled, 'because I like someone else.''

Kiran felt colour leave her face, ''who?''

Adiraj took his arm off his eyes and turned toward her,'' She is very beautiful.''

Kiran felt tears sting her eyes. He looked in her eyes and said,'' sonakshi senha.'' then he promptly burst into laughter.

Kiran just sat there shocked. Then She grabbed a cushion and threw at his head,'' Adiraj,you...''

He was still laughing hard,'' your face. I wish I had camera.''

Kiran,'' you scared me.''

Adiraj,'' I love scaring you.''

Kiran,'' stop it Adiraj and if you did it again I will go away and never come back.'' She turned her back to him.

She was expecting him to tease her more but he sounded very serious when said, ''That's the hobby of you women. You always leave. Go,I don't give a damn.''

She turned around to him. He looked very angry. She had hit a nerve.

Kiran,'' I was joking''

Adiraj,'' I wasn't.''

The silence stretched between them. She tried to make sense of things. Why were they fighting?

Kiran,''Why did you say that all women leave?''

Adiraj,''my mom did.''

Kiran,''your mom was one woman. Don't compare others to her.''

Adiraj,'' for me She was the one who counted. I don't care about any other woman.''

Kiran slowly moved closer to him,''Adiraj, I am sorry. I don't know what to say. I can't relate to what happened to you but this is not right.''

Adiraj,''you know why I want to marry someone who is poor and totally dependent on me? So she will never ever leave me. Love doesn't matter but if you are hungry you have to eat.''

Kiran was shocked. How could he think like this,'' Adiraj love matters in any relationship. Money can't be foundation for a relationship.''

Adiraj looked at her, 'you are so naive.''

Kiran,'' I am not. Loving you is not a foolish thing.''

Adiraj looked at her,'' want to bet.''

Kiran looked at the pain his eyes and felt the answering pain in her heart. So many people in this world come from broken families. She herself never had love of her father but she still hoped that she will find her soul mate in this world and she believed he was her soul mate. Otherwise how can his smile make her smile and his pain hurt her?

She caressed his cheek, trying to comfort him. He stopped the caress by grabbing her hand. Then, he slowly pulled her in his embrace.