Ch 16: Father and daughter

Kiran was sitting next to her father eating the dinner. It was quiet except for the slight sound their cutlery made as they ate.

She was used to it. She grew up in this atmosphere. After finishing they moved into the sitting room. Her father lit up the cigar as was his habit. She sat opposite him on sofa.

Narayan Singhania looked at his daughter and said,'' When are you going to start your studies abroad? Don't you think you have wasted enough time?''

Kiran took a sip of the wine and replied,'' I have decided to wait a bit more.''

Narayan,'' I want you to be fluent in Chinese, it will be good for you in future when you are making negotiations. I want to open up a hotel chain there and I want you to head the project.''

Kiran,'' Dad I don't think I have the necessary experience to handle this big a project. '

Narayan,'' Nonsense. Why did I made you work with me after school? You have all the experience needed. I have decided that you will be heading this project. It's not due to start yet, may be 4-5 years later. My lawyers are looking into the law system over there. But I want you to go there and live, so you can get a grasp of language and culture.''

Kiran felt the familiar tightening in her chest, he was again deciding everything for her even though she had said no and if she failed this project, he will blame her.

Narayan finished with the conversation started to get up.

Kiran quickly said,'' dad, there is someone special I want you to meet.''

Narayan sat down on sofa again,'' The Raizada heir?''

Kiran stiffened,'' Yes, but how do you know?''

Narayan looked at her with reproachful eyes,'' You are my daughter, I know everything about you. Haven't you got him out of your system yet?''

Kiran flushed at his crude words,'' I...I love him dad and I want to marry him.''

Narayan looked at her in bewilderment,'' marriage? Are you out of your mind? I am telling you to focus on work and you...I really wish I had a son. You are so stupid.''

Kiran pressed forward, used to his insults,'' I really want to get married to him dad. I promise I will focus on the project too.''

Narayan,'' Too?,that's a billion dollar deal! Marriage what good is it? I didn't raise you to be a cattle, to bear someone's children and be an arm candy.''

What he was saying was so wrong that Kiran sat there numb,'' I believe in marriage dad and he loves me too. I want you to meet him once, just give him a chance, he is perfect dad. He is equally rich and influential, he is not after my wealth and he is someone really focussed and passionate, you will like him.''

Narayan,'' I already know everything about him. A rich heir like you and equally stupid if he wants to get married so young.''

Kiran held her ground,'' Please, give him a chance. Meet him once.''

Narayan looked at his daughter in exasperation, if only she would show this determination in her career,'' Okay, I will meet him. My secretary would be in touch. And don't you dare get pregnant Kiran to force me or you know me.''

Kiran nodded. She knew better than anyone that she could not have a child at this point in her life.