Chapter 4 Pages 62-83

Chapter 4

          As Sans walked through the dark, the moon illuminating his shape and outline, he let his mind drift. A human physicist and mathematician once said that 'every action has an equal, and opposite reaction.' and while my faith in humanity has diminished over the years, I can't say that guy wasn't a genius. 

       "Heh." Sans thought, chuckling to himself. I've lived through countless RESETS and if there's one law of nature that I've seen proven, it's that one. Everything we say or do affects the course of time. Everything affects everything else, and there are no exceptions. He thought, walking past tents and monster's conversations. Emerging into the lights of fires for only a moment, then fading back into the shadows of the night. But there's also so far one can stray from the core thread of time. Minor changes can happen, maybe even major ones once in a while, but time always manages to move forward; altered, but the same. So, what happened? Sans asked himself within his skull, walking past Gerson and all the monster children surrounding him. All peacefully sleeping as his shadow loomed over them. This is, new. Sure, there've been timelines when the humans didn't exactly welcome us with open arms, but they've never not let us into the city before. They haven't ever not given us a choice, so what happened. Was it something I did? Something the kid did? Something must've happened, Sans contemplated. Something I missed? Sans finished walking up to the warm light of the fire that lit the faces of Alphys, Papyrus, and Frisk. 

     "-But I was not deterred! I continued my search through the heavy underbrush, and was rewarded with finding both the human and my-" Papyrus ceased. 

    "Heya, guys," Sans said, saluting the group. 

    "BROTHER!" Papyrus exclaimed, a smile spreading across his face at the sight of his beloved brother. 

     "O-Oh! Hello, Sans. Would you like some soup? Th-There's still some left." Alphys greeted. 

      "Nah. Thanks though, Alph. You know that stuff goes right through me." Sans said, sitting down next to Frisk on the log she was sitting on. 

      "SANS! NO PUNS!" Papyrus scolded. 

       "W-Well, if you're sure," Alphys responded as Sans looked into the fires' flames, as if deep in thought. "So, how's the research coming?" Sans suddenly asked out of the blue. 

       "Um, i-it's slow. Really slow. I'm not really having much luck at all to tell you the truth, and it's actually kind of, frustrating." Alphys responded, looking down at the ground nervously. Frisk and Papyrus traded confused looks. 

       "I did not know you were working on something scientific Doctor Alphys. Is that why you were not at the meeting tonight?" Papyrus asked.

      "Well, y-yes." she said. 

      "She's working on a little problem that's come up Pap, that's all. Nothing to worry abo-" 

      "Sans." Alphys interrupted sternly. Sans stopped, looking over at her with a worried look.

       "Sans, we've kept it from them long enough. They deserve to know." Alphys stated. The humans' strange behavior isn't the only thing that is new, unfortunately. Sans thought. 

      "Uh..." Sans said, with a nervous look on his face. "Fine. Yeah. Go ahead." He finally gave in. Alphys sighed, getting ready to begin as she drew in a breath. 

     "R-Right." She started. "O-Okay, where d-do I start? Um, Papyrus, do you remember how when we first arrived on the Surface, we all felt a little dizzy?" She asked.