Chapter One: The News Report

Today is parent teacher conference day, at our school, Wildwood High. So I invited the whole gang over for a game night. As we all settled down
Grace insisted we put the news on while we play. She told us this in an irritable, condescending tone, "guys you should never be left out of what is happing in the world, that would leave you sounding ignorant in conversations, and making a complete fool of yourself." All of us, not wanting to argue with her because there was no point in doing so, just agreed to make her happy. So we played our game for about twenty minutes, then as Michelle was closing in on victory, the female anchor exclaimed, "the biggest terrorist attack ever in history has just taken place in every state capital across the United States. They have all been hit with collosal bombs. More on this story as soon as we can get better coverage." Then, all of a sudden the Television went to static and none of the channels on cable worked. Grace and Eli started to freak out and at the same time calm each other down, there relationship is really something else that I don't think I can understand fully. Dominic asked me with his voice all over the place, "um, Lee do you think we should start locking the doors and windows?"
"What why would we need to do that",I exclaimed, "we live in South Jersey and there is a pretty considerable distance between us, and our capital."
"I just feel like there is going to be riots and stuff and I just want us all to be safe."
I saw the worry in Dominic's eyes and it scared me. It was that look a child gives you when they are truly scared. It's weird seeing that on a teenager, so I instructed everyone to lock all the doors and windows. When we finished locking everything we tried to play. Everyone was too frightened to play our game, and we all just lulled into this unbearable silence. Daniel, the first one brave enough to break it said, "what do you think is happening out there? Do you think our families are okay?"
That question sent us all into the deepest parts of our minds, wondering if everything is okay outside of these walls.
Daniel suggested we look out my bedroom window to see if everything is okay. I didn't argue against the idea, I believed it would be good for us to see that everything is okay. So, we all marched to my bedroom and looked outside.
Eli shouted "what is that green mist outside!"
"I have no idea but I don't believe we should breathe that in, come on guys let's -"
before I could even finish that sentence a fully grown man, probably in his late twenties, slammed against my window and released the most blood curdling scream. We all shouted in return and ran back to the living room. Grace and Eli were both crying and, admittedly, I was crying too with my knees against my chest just thinking about that scream over, and over again.
Michelle's voice was quivering when she asked us, "what do we do now?"
I didn't know how to answer that, but for some reason my courage found its way back to me and I said, in my most reassuring voice possible trying to pretend to be brave, "we take inventory of what we have, and wait this out. It can't last that long." So that's what we did and we found out that we have:
1. Two cases of thirty-six water bottles
2. Plenty of snack (chips, granola bars, cookies, etc.)
3. Enough freezer dinners for a week
4. Basic medical supplies that could be used to treat common to extreme ailments
Now, with that we have a loose, inventory of everything we have, we all decided to change in our pajamas and get ready to tackle tomorrow. None of us felt like sleeping so we stayed up all night. There was this silence that was surprisingly comforting, like the world may be messed up but we at least have each other.