Chapter Eleven: The Boiler Room

I opened my eyes and looked around, everyone was still asleep and Grace was still on the table. I walked over to her and slightly pulled up her pant leg, the bite was getting worse the surrounding flesh was turning a gross green and purple. I walked over to my backpack and checked it for some ointment and antibiotics, I was running low on antibiotics and Grace needs that to survive. I applied the ointment and spoon-fed her the medicine. I placed my forearm on her forehead to see if she was hot, boiling I honestly don't think we can save her.
Eli said, "Her condition isn't improving, is she going to die Lee?"
I jumped forward a bit she startled me "You scared me, and I don't think she'll make it much longer."
"I think too, just wanted someone else to say it."
"Eli this must be incredibly hard for you I'm sorry I couldn't save her."
"Its okay Lee I don't blame you I blame them."
She retreated back to her sleeping area. I don't know what we're going to do about Grace, more likely than not we are going to have to leave her here during the explosion. I walked outside the cafeteria into the corridor and looked left. The boiler room, the door whispered into my self-conscious every second, mocking me for not in acting our plan. I walked down to the doors that lead to the courtyard and then paused. I couldn't believe my eyes two bright yellow buses in the green mist. That would be our escape plan we would get on the buses and start driving away from here. That's the plan when the others wake up I'll tell them and we could leave before nightfall. There was the question of Grace she is in no condition to be transported, will have to talk it out as a group what to do.
"Michelle I have a plan."
"What is it, Lee?"
"Alright, so we are still going to blow up the boiler room. But I found a way to escape the yellow school buses and then we can drive away from Wildwood."
"Alright this sounds good, do you think Grace is ready to travel."
"I think we are going to have to leave her here."
"Lee what the hell! We can't leave Grace!"
"Michelle I think the decision is up to her."
"Shut your filthy mouth and stop talking like an imbecile! She can't even wake up!"
Eli walked over " Guys what's with all the yelling."
"Lee wants to leave Grace in the school while we all leave."
"Lee, will it be painless? Is it going to be a quick death?"
"Eli! That's your girl what are you even saying!"
"Michelle don't you think I know that! Grace is dying and it's more humane for it to be quick then painful and drawn out."
"Eli, I'm sorry I didn't think like that. She probably in so much pain right now."
I stepped back into the conversation " So it's final we leave Grace."
Everyone stood silently at the words I just said. They all looked at me staring intently into my eyes like they were trying to see how corrupted my soul is.
"Guys I know I sound harsh but that's the world we live in now.
Michelle came up to me gently and said: " Lee you don't have to be so ruthless, were scared because Grace is your friend and your just ready to have her killed."
Tears started to roll down my face " Guys this is so difficult for me I'm banishing my friend to death! Because I'm not strong enough to help save her."
I walked out of the cafeteria and started to walk around the corridors. I heard footsteps behind and immediately drew my bow "Who's there?"
Eli stepped closer "It's me, Lee I just wanted to say that I'm proud of you for making the plan."
"Are you sure it involves your girlfriend's death."
"I want her to die quick right now she is in so much pain."
"Thanks, Eli I'll come get you went I started the plan."
"Okay, Lee see you then."
She walked away sadly like these words shot her into depression, I guess we all been a little depressed lately. We all think we have no shot at living, I guess the plan has given hope. Then again the plan is why most of us are in the dumps right now. I walked over to boiler room and opened the door. It was too dark down there to see, so I pull my phone and turn on its flashlight. I saw the tank and walked up to it and pulled the wheel all the way to the red zone. I started to run yo the cafeteria telling everyone it was happening we all grabbed our stuff and ran outside. Everyone had gas mask except me, I should have grabbed it off Serenity but I must have forgotten it. We all ran into the buses, the keys were in the ignition perfect. Then Michelle shouted "It has no gas! Why didn't no one check to see if they had gas!"
I can't believe I forgot to check if they had gas. Now we are all going to die because of me.
Then Dominic yelled, "Get under the seats."
As he finished doing this I heard the explosion happen. So this is the end, goodbye world goodbye mom and dad, now I'm going to be greeting hell. Goodbye.