241 days before

'I don't understand why you'd wanna work anyway' John slurred, taking another swig of his whiskey. Sienna looked at him plainly, her vision blurred by a drunken haze. Even after a few drinks, she knew it best not to spark up an argument with John about her job at the hospital.

Sienna had received nothing but grief from her father, brother and best friend about working as a nurse at the local hospital. To them, the notion of women in work was unfathomable. Especially a woman like Sienna, who came from a wealthy, well-educated family, and could afford not to work.

'You're not like us...' John proceeded, and Sienna knew he was referring to the fact his family were relatively poor. 'I don't even understand why you hang around with me, you really shouldn't. Your father doesn't like it.' He told her, and she pursed her lips. 'My father doesn't like a lot of things, John.' She said calmly, and he smiled.

'That is true' he nodded, 'but you're not the kind of girl who disobeys her father' he said, and he was right. Sienna was a good girl, she was shy and obedient. If her father told her to do something she would, no questions asked. She had been that way all her life. Her brother was different though. He argued back and rebelled. He was arrogant and self-interested, he was his own boss. Sienna often envied her brother. If she were a man, maybe she wouldn't have to listen to her father all the time, and all the other men around her. Perhaps she could walk down the street alone without a chaperone, or drink vodka without being scolded.

'Can we please stop talking about my father, John' Sienna asked, taking a sip of the heavily diluted vodka that John had poured her. In all honesty, Sienna's father was too busy with business to know how much time she indeed spent with the Shelby boy - if he did the consequences wouldn't be too pleasant. He shrugs as if to say okay.

The two carry on drinking for an hour or two, reminiscing on good times, the future to come and the growing austerity in Europe. 'John, I think I'm a bit drunk' she giggles, and he laughs back. Their laughter is quickly silenced by the sound of the door, and the appearance of Tommy Shelby in the corner of the room. 'What's going on here?' Tommy asks, and Sienna can already tell he's incredibly drunk.

He'd been out with her brother, she knew that, but they weren't usually back till gone midnight. She looked at the clock on the fireplace, her eyes widening when she realised it was nearly 1am. 'What does it look like, I'm having a drink with my good friend Sen' John challenges, and  Sienna prepares herself for the drunken brotherly row that will inevitably ensue.

'Right well, parties over. ' Tommy mumbles, glancing over at the girl he'd been thinking about all night. 'Ah don't be like that Tom, sit down n have a drink' John groaned, finishing off the last swigs of his whiskey. 'I'm good John, think I had a few too many in the pub and by the looks of it you've both had a few too many here' he said, 'now, off to bed' he nodded at John to go upstairs, and he sighed loudly.

Sienna was surprised he didn't contest further, but by the looks of it he was tired, plus he had work in the morning. 'You wanna take my bed, Sen? I'll sleep down here' he said, and Sienna shook her head. 'You know I can't John, my father would have my head.' She smiled, sweetly. 'Don't you worry about Sen here, John. I will walk her home.' Tommy said, and Sienna's heart stopped in her chest. John nodded, before leaning over the table. He wrapped one hand behind her head and gave her a kiss on the cheek. 'Night, gorgeous' he said, before making his way upstairs.

'Are you ready to leave?' Tommy asked, and Sienna nodded shyly. She could feel her heart racing as they made their way out the front door, and began walking home. 'How've you been?' Tommy asked, after a few moments silence. It wasn't a long walk, Sienna thought, she could get through this. She paid attention to the cobbles beneath her feet, 'Not too bad Thomas, yourself?' she responded, her voice sweet as ever. 'Top of the world, Sen' he replied, a cheeky smirk on his face.

He nudged her slightly, and she smiled. 'You and my brother, you spend a lot of time together.' He stated, lighting up a cigarette. 'John is my best friend, as Oliver is yours.' Sienna replied, unsure of where exactly he was going with this. She could see by his face that the mention of her brother made him uncomfortable, maybe they had fallen out? She hoped not, then she would hardly ever see Tommy.

As they turned the street corner, Sienna slipped slightly, and Tommy quickly grabbed her. 'I think maybe your brothers right' he laughed, and she furrowed her eyebrows. 'What do you mean?' she asked, and he looked at her. 'About laying off the vodka' he said, and she giggled lightly. 'Yeah, maybe' she mumbled. She couldn't believe he'd bought up the other night, she felt sick with nerves, but the alcohol helped.

'I didn't imagine it then?' she asked quietly, and he looked at her questioningly. 'Imagine what?' he asked, and she took a deep breath. 'The other night' she almost choked, her throat dry. A small smile appeared at the corner of his lip, 'no, you didn't imagine it'. She nodded, as they made a left onto her street.

Her neighbourhood was so much more beautiful than his, the houses so much bigger. Tommy tried not to let it bother him, it would all be his one day he was sure. A silence had ensued, and Sienna found her mind racing for something to say.

As they stopped outside the King household, Tommy wrapped his arm around Sen's waist and pulled her close to him. 'Does that mean you've been thinking about me?' Tommy teased, with a smile on his face. Sienna blushed, looking down and avoiding his gaze. 'I'll take that as a yes' he said softly, with a smirk.

He placed a finger under her chin and lifted it so that her eyes met with his. 'I've been thinking about you too' he confessed, observing her features as he did. She really was beautiful. She tried to conceal a smile, 'Is that so?' she asked, trying to appear unfazed and alluring.

'Yes' Tommy said, simply, before leaning forward and kissing the girl, he was so deeply infatuated with. He felt her hand run through his hair, leaning into the kiss. After a minute or two Tommy pulled back, leaning his head on hers. 'This is a bad idea, you know that right' he whispered, and she nodded in agreement before he kissed her once more unable to find the will to stop.

'You're my best friends sister' he told her, catching his breath. 'So...' she sighed, her heart sinking as her words caused him to pull away from her. 'Don't be naive Sen... ' He said, and she shook her head in response. 'For a girl as smart as you, you ought to know the way the world works' he said, and she looked at him confusingly.

She spoke much posher, walked much taller and deserved far better than Tommy. At least that's what society dictated. Even if she wasn't his best friends little sister, the disparities in their social standing meant a girl like Sienna King could never end up with a guy like Tommy Shelby. Her life was destined to be so much more significant than his. 'I don't understand?' She sighed, and he shook his head. He leant forward and placed a kiss on her forehead, 'Good night, Sen' he spoke softly, before walking off into the night leaving Sienna incredibly confused and hurt.