20 days before

'You may now kiss the bride'...

An eruption of cheers and whistles ensued as Tommy leant down and kissed his wife. She looked beautiful, in white. Her veil hung gracefully down, covering her long wavy hair. 'I love you' Tommy told her with more conviction than any man before. 'I love you' she replied, knowing she would mean those words until the day she died. They smiled at each other, pure love in their eyes as they walked hand in hand out of the church and began their life together.

...

That was a week ago, and at this very moment, Sienna was struggling to muster any feeling but hatred toward her husband.

'You volunteered?' She screamed, as her Tommy informed her that he had just voluntarily enlisted himself in the armed services to fight in the war.

'Sen look, I know this must be difficult for you to understand but this is about honour, and loyalty and about protecting my family' He tells her, but all she can hear is half-hearted excuses for his betrayal.

'I am your family, Tom. How can you not have included me in this decision?' She asks, her voice lower now and plagued with sadness. 'I did, that's the point. I did this for you, for us. For every other man, wife and child out there who cannot fight for himself.' He spoke with nobility, but Sienna just scoffed.

'Cut the bullshit Tomy, this is my life as much as yours, and you should've consulted me!' she yelled, storming out the room. 'Sen please' he called after, but it was too late.

——

Later that day, Sienna was sat in the living room of her and Tommy's small, damp and creaky house. She was biting her nails with nerves, afraid of what was going to happen when Tommy found out. Above all though, she was afraid of the decision she had made.

She got up to get a glass of water, but she was stopped in her tracks by the sound of the door slamming. Tommy stormed in, a look of complete and unwavering anger that Sienna had never seen before. 'I don't fucking think so Sen' he yells. 'This shit is not a fucking joke' he tells her, pacing the room.

'I know that Tom.' she tells him calmly, and he shakes his head. 'Then why on God's earth would you volunteer?' He asks, and she laughs. 'Are you joking? You think you can say that to me after what you've done.' She raises her voice, confused and angry from his words.

'Did you just expect me to sit here for years and years, waiting for you to come home in a coffin?' She asks, quite obviously not expecting an answer. 'If you can volunteer as a soldier then I can volunteer as a nurse. It's as simple as that.' She tells him, and she can tell by his face that he is scared and upset.

'First thing tomorrow, I want you to march down there and tell them you changed your mind' he says, trying to sound assertive but his voice cracking. 'I can't do that Tom, and you know that' she tells him, and he's visibly pissed off.

He doesn't say much more, just grabbing her and pulling her body close to his. He buries his face into her neck, 'You're a fucking idiot' he mumbles into her hair, as he holds on tight. 'So are you' She retorts.