193 Days Before

two weeks later

'With everything that's going on in the world right now Sen, whatever's going on with you can't be that bad' John said, taking a swig of his drink. He was referring to the growing austerity in Europe, and about the war that seemed almost inevitable. He was right, of course, but that didn't mean her problems felt any less real.

Much like Tommy had thought, Sienna was effortlessly broken. She was smart, and she beautiful, but she was too naive and too trusting of others with her heart. Sienna had fooled herself into thinking that anything good would come from getting involved with Tommy, that he might love her the way she loved him. She had seen Tommy in passing a few times since, and he tried desperately to talk to her, but she would run and hide, not wanting to face further rejection or humiliation.

'I'm fine John, how many times need I tell you' she assured her best friend, offering him a smile that the both of them knew was forced. She looked over, to see her brother walking through the door of The Garrison, Tommy and their friends by his side. Their loud bellows and laughs could be heard over everyone in the pub, and it was clear that they were all heavily drunk.

She watched as her brother made his way over to the table at which she was sat, with John and a few of his friends. 'I see your face in here too often, little sister' Olly said, only half-joking. 'Where does father think you are this time?' He asked, a little more seriously. She looked up at him, 'night shift, at the hospital' she told him honestly, and he nodded.

'You shouldn't lie to him' he said, finishing the whisky he had only just ordered. 'Neither should you' Sienna retorted, and he looked at her disapprovingly. He loved her deeply, but he wouldn't tolerate her talking back to him like that, especially in the presence of other people. 'Sorry' she mumbled, quickly, and he smiled at her.  'I've got my eye on you' he said jokingly, but it was true nonetheless. He gave a quick nod to John, before walking back over to his friends. She could feel Tommy's eyes on her the whole time, but she chose to ignore it.

-

An hour or two later, Sienna was walking back over to the table where she had been sat with her friends, noticing John's absence - he must have gone for a cigarette, she thought. Her path was intercepted by a drunken gentleman.  'Sienna King? Right?' he slurred, a wide smile on his face.

'Yes' she smiled softly, 'do I know you?' she asked, and he shook his head. 'No, no. I'm Edward, nice to meet you' he held out his hand to shake, and she obliged. He kissed her hand, and she laughed uncomfortably. 'Well, I best be getting back to my friends, it was nice to meet you' she said, walking past him. He grabbed her forearm, and she already knew what would ensue now.  'wait, no - I was just wondering if...'

He didn't get a chance to finish his sentence before he was being grabbed by the scruff of his neck outside. A table of gentlemen, presumably his friends, stood up immediately before realising who exactly their friend had pissed off and sitting back down. It was an unwritten rule that you don't mess with Olly King, but even more so, his little sister.

It was clear though that Olly hadn't realised what had happened until he saw his best friend charging for the young boy. In this instance, Tommy was the one with the real issue. She pushed through the crowd of people, and outside, where she saw her brother and the man she loved beating the living out of him.

'Stop!' She screamed, and Oliver looked at her. Tommy didn't stop, however, just throwing punch after punch. 'Go inside, Sienna' her brother screamed, 'John, take her home for christ sake' he yelled at his best friends brother, and he nodded. She knew it was no use, giving in to John as he dragged her away.

She watched as they continued to beat him, waiting until they where so far in the distance she could no longer see. Why are men so cruel, she thought, with tears streaming down her face.