And a wild ashby appears

The next day was Saturday and I found myself sleeping in and enjoying lounging around. Around 1 Jess came and picked me up, we got some lunch and she talked about senior prom, which wasn't for a couple more months but she was "soooo excited."

When she dropped me off it was about 3 and Toby was upstairs, eating some chips as he read a book.

"Hey tob," I mumbled as I slid onto a seat beside him.

"Hey kiddo," he said, ruffling my hair. "You're on your own for dinner, I'm busy okay?"

I frowned. "What? You don't work today and you don't have a meeting," I told him in confusion.

"I know."

"So where are you going?" The look on his face told me to shut up and stop asking.

So naturally, I started bugging him. "Toby where are you going? Why won't you tell me? Are you doing drugs? Are you running away?"

I watched him stand up and start walking towards the basement. "Levi drop it please," he said quietly.

I didn't. I spent the next half an hour following him around, bugging him as he showered, changed and got ready to leave. "Toby?!" I pleaded, stomping my feet as he started back up the stairs. He sighed as he reached the landing, running a hand through his chocolatey hair.

"I'm meeting someone," he groaned in exasperation.

"So? Why couldn't you-" I paused, "a date! You have a date!" I yelled.

He rubbed his eyes, "god, drop it," he mumbled turning and walking towards the kitchen, looking for his keys.

"Who is it?"

"Levi I don't want to talk about it, I want to see how it plays out before I say anything, besides we are just friends."

I studied his face, he looked slightly pained, slightly guilty. "Oh my god, she has a boyfriend doesn't she?"

Toby was quiet, staring at me. "Levi it isn't like that," he was calm and quiet, but the look in his eyes said a storm was brewing.

"So what? You sober up and decide you want to be dad instead of mom?" I snapped.

Toby flinched as if I'd physically slapped him. "Jesus Levi! I am not dad!" He boomed, "I didn't tell you because her god damn boyfriend is gone, and she wanted to sort her feelings out before we got involved, so we are hanging out as friends!" He yelled.

"BUT WHAT ABOUT HER BOYFRIEND? Jesus Toby you're so god damn selfish, drowning in booze and coming out of it-"

"You did not just say that," he said, holding his hand up, "Levi you think you've got it bad? When did mom start hitting you? When you were 15? 16? And dad never hit you. Guess what? I grew up both their punching bag. I took the hits for you, so don't you dare say I'm selfish because everything I did, I did for you and to protect you."

I thought back on my life and I realized, Toby had always been there. In 5th grade when the boys made fun of my braces he showed up, and threatened them. He made sure people were nice to me in high school, and now that I thought back to it, Toby had always protected me.

"Toby I didn't mean-"

"Just shut up Levi, I'm sick of dealing with your shit," he growled, grabbing a set of keys and walking out the door with a slam.

I sighed, and walked back to the kitchen, plopping onto the seat. I scrolled through Instagram, trying to force the argument out of my mind when the doorbell rang. I huffed stomping down to the door.

"You have a key," I growled as I swung the door open.

"I do? I figured it'd take a few more visits before I got one."

Well hello ashby. I blushed, taking in his sweats and muscle tee and wanting to melt right there. "What's up?"

He shrugged, "let's go," he said plainly.

"Where?" I pressed.

"I'm gonna teach you how to box."

I stared at him dumbly, and I heard him chuckle before walking around me, grabbing a hold of the front of my shirt and pulling me behind him.

He walked straight to my room, towing me behind him. "You have about 3 seconds or I'm gonna start going through your clothes and pick them out for you," he told me as he released me.

I made a mad dash for my dresser, grabbing sweats and a tank top. "Why're you doing this?" I asked, flipping my hair over and tying it up.

He shrugged, "I don't really have anyone else to do stuff with."

True, I thought, but you didn't seem to mind it before. I sighed, and tugged my shorts off. Ashby coughed uncomfortably. I shrugged, before pulling on my sweats and then quickly putting on my tank top.

"Tattoos?" He murmured, his eyebrow raised. Oh so he does check me out, I thought cockily to myself.

"I'll show you when you show me yours," I told him, moving past him and walked outside. He laughed, following me. We made it outside without a word, and he moved towards his bike. Huh, I hadn't noticed it before. He slid on and patted the seat behind him.

"C'mon," he mumbled. I stared at him, dumbfounded.

"You're kidding right?" He chuckled shaking his head before patting the seat again.

"No c'mon," he insisted. I stared at him, before slowly making my way over and sliding on behind him. He winced, his body tensing as my arms slid around him loosely.

"What? Did I do something wrong?" I asked curiously. He shook his head, and I frowned. "Then what?"

"Just drop it Levi."

So I did. And with a rev of his engine he took off.