Chapter One: mine

My eyes flashed open to the sudden howling from the outside, only to be followed by loud thuds of feet coming from the corridor and the outside.

My heart paced up in fear as I jumped from my bed and looked out through the window, taking in the cold dark  feeling of the night. Horror seeped through my bones as my eyes became witness to terror....

One of our guard's arm, was mercilessly ripped off its socket by a menacing silver wolf that broke his bone with one snap of its jaw and swallowed, nearly activating my gag reflex.

"You have to get the hell out of here now!" My brother yelled in anger as he swung the door open with so much unneeded force and clenched tightly on the rifle he was holding, his face was covered in massive stains of dark coloured blood that clearly did not belong to him as he did not show any signs of injury.

I got to my feet in an instant and ran out in just my sleeping outfit, an oversized white shirt and thigh high shorts, no shoes were considered at this point, time was our worst enemy and it was winning in this case.

I stumbled over nothing as I made my way towards the door. My knees controlled by the adrenaline fueled with fear.

Screams filled the poisonous air in a matter of seconds as blood became the new atmosphere. Seconds later, I heard loud grenades followed by people running around with wet towels over their noses and mouths. In an instant, my heart went silent as a buzz filled my ears, almost knocking me unconscious from fear.

Tear gas.....

Fear and panic erupted in me as the painful gas filled my lungs burning and ripping my chest open in seconds, bringing a bleeding pain to my chest and eyes that tried to wash away the pain with it's own tears. I ran back into my room, looking for the one thing that kept me alive in dark times, my inhaler.

I searched into my school bag as my heart raced with my sensitive asthma slowly kicking in, causing me to cough violently and painfully. I pulled it out from my purse and inhaled deeply, taking in all the machine to try and purify my lungs, keeping it at my mouth, I knelt there, holding onto my bed with a towel I managed to soak from the bathroom and placed it around my inhaler to cover my mouth.

My whizzing got loud and so did the bleeding pain in my chest.

"Oh my Lord Jesus, Emily!" I heard my second brother shout out, followed by quick rough footsteps. "Good good, just breathe," he instructed as he pulled me to my feet and carefully helped me onto his back.

I wrapped my free hand around his neck as he ran out the building where he transformed into the most beautiful werewolf in our pack. It's dark blue fur shone in the endless blood moonlight with such perfection and magnificence.

Jealousy filled me yet again.

How I badly wanted to turn, but unfortunately, the wolf inside of me never came out, I was starting to think I was a normal human being instead. Not a werewolf, like both my parents were.

I glanced over my shoulder only to notice the silver wolf racing after us with sharp eyes that only seemed to thirst for blood with two others that joined it in its hunt for us. All growling menacingly like beasts from an abyss of darkness.

Up front were the escaping wolves of our pack, running and dying from unexpected attacks, leading us to nothing but a pile of corpses, turning out homeland into a graveyard filled with dark memories.

I stared sharply at the wolf charging just behind us and I knew something was off from the sudden change in the atmosphere between us two.

"Mine," it growled deeply and I felt weak, scared and stiff to the core, unable to find myself moving.

I turned back to my brother who swiftly dodged trees as he ran. Tears soaked my eyes as my heart ached for what was destined to me.

This can't be.... A my pack's murderer is my mate?

"Riley, faster!" I whined and he tried to increase his speed but as they say, everything has It's limit.

I gripped furiously onto his fur, trying to search my soul for that stupid wolf inside of me. A wolf that was supposed to be my other half. Sadly, I couldn't find her. I felt her a few days ago and she was gone, hardly leaving a trace of her existence.

Before I could come back into reality and stop moaning over a spirit that was never going to connect with me, I was crushing onto the hard ground in a blink of an eye.

Tiny stones and pebbles scratched against my skin, bring on bruises and cuts to what I was already going through.

A gun shot... I heard a gun shot!

I glanced over the ground with a sharp buzz filling my ears as my vision slowly adjusted from the sudden impact to the head and the rest of my body. Pain shot all around my weak fragile body as I lay on the cold ground. I turned my head only to notice a dead dark blue wolf a few inches from me. Fresh red blood pooled all over the bare ground, coming from its open wound.

"No!" I screamed in horror as I ran to him, he was still breathing slowly but weakly. I stroked the fur all around his face as tears streamed down my cheeks, burning my bruises.

The silver wolf and the other grey wolves circled us, growling at their prey, knowing at this point, I was helpless.

"Riley.." I sniffed and stroked his fur, he slowly transformed into his normal form and I wrapped the small towel I was carrying over his body, his eyes half closed with half of his face completely covered in the pool of blood circling him. "Don't do this to me!"

"Emily you have to run..." He whispered before coughing out gallons of blood. Tears escaped my eyes like a fountain as my whole face burned with pain and heat. "I guess... T-This is my... Last moment with you..."

"Don't say that..." I cried in pain, holding his wrist tightly in fear.

"Run Emily... Be safe..." He pulled out a pistol from the satchel he had around his waist and placed it in my hand. "I.. love you sis..." And that was it, he did not utter a word more as he shut his eyes completely with his skin paling up in an instant.

I clenched my fists as I stared at the gun in my hand and turned abruptly, pointing the gun at the silver wolf that jumped in fright at the sight of it. It growled threateningly as if challenging me to do it with its claws scratching the ground, daring me even more to pull the trigger.

My mate was going to die tonight....

I pulled the trigger that landed right into his chest which made him flinch and howl out in pain. I pulled the trigger to the other again, only to realise it was out of bullets.

I threw it away in an instant and ran deep into the woods.

The sharp cold air cut across my face as I ran into the forest, panting in terror. Behind me, I could hear furious growls and I knew he was still alive and running after me. The smell of blood from the bullet hole on his chest filled my nostrils, bringing in fear and nausea to my throat.

I searched once more for my wolf but never found her yet again.