Twenty Four: truth about Brave's death

I kicked the small pebble as I walked around the place, looking at the different building styles they had. The most interesting were the statues that represented different people from the past, great warriors actually, that gave in their lives to protect the survivers.

"Emily." I turned at the call of a familiar deep voice and I smiled, giving a small bow only to have him stop me from proceeding. "No need to do that, you'll strain yourself." Alpha Max chuckled and I smiled, nodding at him.

"You look happy today." I smiled as we walked at the slowest pace possible, not planning to go anywhere.

"I am, the doctors told me my bundle of joy would be coming faster than expected. I'd get to see him or her before the red moon." He said as he did a small skip and fist bumped the air. I frowned and nodded at him for his excitement. He really does love them both.

"Why don't you just stay and hide with her and the baby?" I asked but he shook his head, shoving his hands into his pockets.

"I'm the alpha Emily," he said. "As an alpha I need to be brave and fearless so that we are strong together, now if an alpha cowers and hide... What pack would be formed out of that? That is if it was to even survive." He said and I felt the pain in his voice, he didn't want to become alpha I can tell, he just wanted to live a normal life with his wife and kid.

"Can I see her? Your mate?" I asked and he smiled sweetly,  now directing me to the biggest building here.

The guards pushed open the large doors and we walked right through, only to have them close the doors. I gaped at the different decorations in the massive hallway. Filled with small statues to large portraits of once great alpha and Luna.

A few guards leaned against the walls talking and laughing to themselves as we passed by. I loved the atmosphere here, it shows Max wasn't so strict and angry like Grey, the people waved, smiled and fist bumped him along the way, not giving too much respect like he was a god or something. Not like Grey, the people act like he's so dangerous that they must do anything he wants.

"Everyone here looks happy." I commented and he nodded, smiling widely at me.

"I like it when others smile back, it just shows I'm not being too harsh on them, I get serious at times but that's only when things aren't going good and need discipline." He said and I nodded in understanding.

"True." I chuckled and he wrapped his hand around me.

"I know Grey is a boiler room on his own, I heard of his mate Brave who took the leap off a cliff, she was being chased by vampires, but she had that intension years back after meeting Grey." He said and I looked up at him in question.

"Oh?" I asked and he nodded as we made a turn.

"They used to have dangerous fights. Bad, bad fights and she wasn't weak like anyone there is. She was strong and brave, probably that's why her name was Brave, she'd fight back when Grey spoke to her and they were just a match fail together." He said and I slowly nodded. "Brave made a dangerous decision by running right into the hallow territory, she wanted it to look like she was attacked when she was actually giving herself in. Now Grey,  no matter how much they fought, still wanted to be loved by someone, so most times he'd be the one apologizing to her, being a slave I might say, but she still went on, not looking back. He wasn't that shocked to hear she died, since she had been telling him 'one day, Grey, one day you'll regret all this!' So when it happened, it didn't take long until he healed and asked for another mate. I seriously don't know how he talked to the moon goddess about it or why she even gave him another chance, but it was clear, and it's true he marked you as well."

I simply nodded, finding it so much to take in. So you mean she jumped in attempt of suicide? Just because...of Grey?

I don't know if he deserved it or not. I don't know if what she did was the right thing to teach him a lesson. But she was right, Grey was very selfish and easily angered by anything, even at things you didn't do he'd get at you, shoving words into your face until you couldn't breathe anymore.

Maybe that's why he's afraid. To lose the second mate all over again just because of his actions. His behavior. They were a fail, that wasn't a lie, they both failed to love each other, even with their flaws intact.

So does that make me his real mate? The one he'll spend his life with?

But Hunter... His my mate.

I can't compare sparks anymore, because my wolf is in that dilemma as well, she forgave Grey and created a bond with him.  She was also excited to see Hunter, she fully accepts him and created a bond between us. But what can I do?

Which bond should I break?