Chapter Nineteen: Riley

I hugged my knees to my chest and bit my lip. I was scared, in fear and was suffocating alone...

"I'm sorry." was all he said all day and I got sick and tired of it that I slapped him shut in front of everyone in the dining hall while we ate supper. I was sick and tired of him. Of this odd thing going on between us, of everything he has done. I was sick and tired of him.

I hate you Grey....

I could only scream inside myself. Feeling like no one would share my heartache pain with me.... No one.

I placed my chin on my knees and sighed, rocking myself gently, back and forth.

"Is this what you planned out for me...?" I looked out to the rising moon, hoping the moon goddess could hear me. "What did I do wrong? What did I do to deserve this..?"

"I just heard," I jumped in fright only to see Green eyes, leaning by the window. "It won't take long until Hunter's ears catch it, you know?"

"What do you want! I have too many issues already!" I folded my arms and leaned against the wall.

"You don't know that you have two more days now..  do you?" He asked and I looked at him. "He did something cruel to you,  you can pay him back Emily," he pulled out the pocket knife from under my pillow and tossed it to me. I caught it and examined it carefully.

"I'm not that cold hearted, Green eyes." I said, throwing the knife at him only to accidentally stab him on his shoulder. He didn't flinch at all, simply kept it there.

"It's Riley," he said, moving to the portrait. I froze at that name... My brother's name... "And don't for a second think I'm your brother, I've been watching you since you were seven."

"Watching... Me?" I pointed at my chest as I tried to remember the embarrassing things I did in those past years. "How old are you?"

"I'm not further than you think Emily," he turned to face me, holding his hands behind him. "I'm exactly your age, day born.... The same, just different. You were born with your power but I was given mine," he held up the glass flower vase and broke it into millions of pieces when he tightened his grip. "I died when I was three, I had a serious cancer in my lungs, the doctors knew I'd die but never told me. Till I had to bleed painfully through my mouth and nose and...." He clenched his jaw tightly, "I died."

He moved from the small wooden stool to the window.

"I was happy dead than alive, nothing waited for me out here, until, your father made a deal with a vampire and just had to bring me back, the whole point was to protect you, to be your watching eye... They never knew how I hated them... For bringing me back and now I can't die, do you know how it feels.... To live in a body... With no soul?" His eyes sparkled in a deep threatening red. "To never feel? Breathe?... Love? I can't smell, I can't breathe.... And I can't die... I have a heart inside of me... But doesn't work. I have a brain... But it died...do you know how that feels.... Emily?"

I swallowed the huge lump in my throat as I looked out the window. I never knew... The pain he was holding...

"Riley... I'm sorry," I stood up, "I know saying sorry won't solve anything but... It's all I can say."

"I don't even feel the comfort of those words... But thanks, anyway," he frowned and sighed. "And I was serious about killing Grey."

"I know," I played with my fingers as I thought carefully. "I can talk to him... The Hallow?"

"He won't see you  until you have Grey's body, they can see you but you can't, they'll kill you, Emily." He narrowed his eyes at me as he paced around the room. "You better think fast, I'll be here the day after tomorrow, make your decision." With that, he leaped out the window and left in seconds.

I sighed, remembering he still has my knife in his chest, did he even notice?

The door slowly opened to review Renee who looked worried. She walked in and closed the door behind her.

"Emily... Can we talk?" She asked, her voice so low and weak.

"What about?" I asked, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"It's... About you and Grey mainly," she shrugged and walked to the bed, sitting next to me and cupped my hands in hers. "You know, Grey... Has emotional problems and you just have to understand him.... He usually gets angry and the doctors suspect he has... A slight effect of the BPD from his grandfather... It's not serious to him but... It's just the trigger of his emotions that are affected-"

"What are you trying to say Renee?" I asked, staring at her with expectation. It was obvious Grey wasn't slightly normal according to his emotional side, but the fact is why was she telling me?

"You have to... You know... Give him a chance?" She smiled sheepishly as I slowly crossed my brows.

"I gave him a chance, and look what happened to me? He wanted that to happen on purpose and he said he doesn't regret it." I stood up with clenched fists, "he's forcing me into his life... Should I be happy? Do you expect me to love him even when Hunter rejects me? And how about Hunter? Will he be happy and move on? He's already mad enough that I'm trying to heal Grey's wounds and make him move on but what will he do if he found out about what Grey did to me?"

"I know but-"

"Tell me the truth Renee," I stood in front of her, hands on hips. "Grey sent you... Didn't he?"

She looked away and chewed on her lower lip, twisting her fingers in nervousness.

"Tell me the truth," I said and she sighed in defeat then slowly nodded. "I knew it."