Protecting Me

【=◈︿◈=】<--- you're amazing if you know who/what this is.

-----------------------------

He removed his hand from under my chin and walked over to my bed to sit on the edge of it. 

"You came here, so you go first." I told him. He patted the space beside him, wanting me to sit down next to him, but I stood my ground and had my arms across my chest instead.

He rolled his eyes at my stubbornness but decided to go ahead. "You said you wouldn't leave but then the very next moment, you're gone. I wasn't able to find you, I had no way to protect you like I told you I would. I'm so happy that you're safe and back with us, I really am, but do you realize how pissed I am at you for going away? Again?!" 

"I didn't want to leave you, Yato. If you really thought I wanted to leave you without any word, then you're stupid. I left with your father on my own, yes, but I did it for a reason. He knew what I was, he was able to help me. And if he was able to help me, then maybe I could help myself for once." 

"I will NOT lose you again, (f/n)." He stood up as he said that and came within inches of my face, he had his serious look on his face. His tone wasn't softening up for me anytime soon. "You're not leaving. I don't care what you think. You're part of this life now, everyone's life, MY life. You don't get to just walk away like that. I am here to protect you."

"I can understand that, but it's not just me that you have to protect, Yato." I told him. He took a moment before realizing what I actually meant by that. 

"I can protect you both." He finally said after a minute of pondering.

"No you can't. I'm better capable of protecting myself that Hiyori is. She needs you more than I do." 

"No the hell she does not!" He suddenly yelled at me. I jumped back, scared at his change in tone with me. 

"Uh, last time I checked, she's not able to make fire or phantoms come out of nowhere to help you." 

"At least she doesn't run away in situations like this! Which makes her more than capable of taking care of herself." 

We both rolled our eyes at each other but didn't say anything for a while after that. At this point he was back on the edge of the bed and I was sitting opposite of him on a chair that was by my desk. It was a few minutes of just silence and angrily staring each other down.

"If you're not going to say anything, then leave." I finally said.

He didn't say anything nor did he break his stare. He just got up and walked towards me again. I was waiting for him to yell at me again but instead he bent down, put his hand on my head, kissed my forehead. 

"I'm sorry. I know I'm overbearing at times, but you know I just want you to be safe, right?" He asked me. I nodded my head and relaxed myself. I couldn't be mad at him when he apologizes to me.

"I'm sorry I left you," was all I said. I stood up to hug him. I really did miss him, and it felt relieving to be in his arms again.

"We're going to help you, (f/n). I promise you that, as well as protecting you no matter what." He told me as he tightened his arms around me.

I pulled away from him to look at him. Once again, I found myself lost in his icy blue eyes, but it didn't last long as I was aware of what I was doing this time. I snapped out of it and gave him a smile, but he did something completely different.

Yato lowered his head to meet mine and he moved his hand behind my head to push mine closer to his. And then our lips met, locking into a kiss. I never would've expected this in a million years, but it happened. I could feel the energy between us synchronize. We become one with our movements. Every single second that passed, I started craving more and more. 

But he pulled away too soon and it was over before I could completely gather what was going on. "There's so much that I would love to tell you right now. But I can't, at least not right now." He told me. "I also have to be honest with you, (f/n)."

"What?" I asked him.

"Before you came back to us, while you were still gone, Hiyori and I kissed. And she wasn't acting like she was your friend either. She said that we shouldn't keep trying to find you because that's what you wanted." He said all this without being able to look at me, but when he finally did, his eyes expressed so much sadness and guilt. 

He continued, "I pulled away from her though. I didn't want this kiss to happen, but it did. I told her I couldn't do it and I walked away. (F/n), I want you to know that YOU are my priority. You are the person whose lips I would much rather have on mine. But you have to understand this history that Hiyori and I share. Things are complicated with us and I'm still trying to figure it out. I just want to be able to tell you the truth, so that you know how serious I am about this...about you." 

I nodded my head and put my hand on his cheek. "Thank you for telling me the truth," was all I said before I pulled him into a hug. 

I was happy that he told me the truth, but of course, it was a bit upsetting having to hear about Hiyori. It was even more disappointing to find out that she's been acting like a crappy friend lately all because of Yato. But I guess that's the girl drama that most face at one point in their lives. I pulled away from Yato and stepped a couple of steps back.

"I'm just going to shower real quick and I'll be out. You should go out there and talk to the others." I lied as I put a smile on my face.

"Yeah you're right. I'll see you out there." He said and gave me one last kiss on my forehead before leaving my room and closing the door behind him.

I wasn't going to cry about it. My tears were long gone before that. I just wanted to take a moment for myself to breathe. I was annoyed with Hiyori and my plan was to confront her about the things she has been saying to me. I didn't want to fight with her over Yato, but I didn't want to lose her as a friend either.

I walked to my drawer and changed outfits. I threw on a white v-neck, a pair of dark jeans, and some over-the-knee boots to complete the outfit. I put my hair up in a messy bun and shrugged my shoulders after looking at the finished product, deciding that this looked good enough.

-

I knocked on Hiyori's door three times and waited for a few moments. She opened the door and was surprised to see me standing before her.

"I need to talk to you, Hiyori." I said to her.

"Okay..." She hesitated before letting me inside her room. I walked in and she closed the door behind me. Our rooms were set up pretty much the same - same desk, same bedsheets, and same colored wall. Her clothes were nicely hung up in the closet but her bed wasn't made yet.

"What is it?" She asked me.

I took a deep breath in before I said anything. "I'm not the evil one here, Hiyori. We're friends and I don't want us to fight. And, for the record, I don't think you would like it much either if I were to say some crap about you to someone else." 

"I don't want to fight you either, (f/n). I just want you to understand the relationship between Yato and I. And of course I don't want anything bad to happen to you - the only reason why I suggested to not go look for you is because you didn't want to be found, right? I mean that's what you expressed in the letter?" She said to me.

"Yeah I know. I just never thought that you would be one to say something like that." I told her.

She didn't say anything after that, so I continued, "I understand what you have going on with Yato. I won't interfere with that, but if he ends up choosing me, then that's his business and I don't want it to come between us." 

She definitely didn't say anything after that. 

"Alright, well, I'm sorry. I'm going to leave now, but I'll talk to you later." I said to her before I left her room, leaving behind a somewhat frustrated looking Hiyori.