Choose Who Chooses You.

I hate myself for not updating but at least I'm back now.

--------------------------------

I shook off the memories from last night and got dressed for the day. I had plans to go incognito in the human world so I could go shopping and feel at least somewhat normal again. I wasn't supposed to go out without someone with me at all times, but it's not like I needed protection, right? 

I guess it had more to do with that I might leave them again. The thought about leaving them made me wonder if they'd give up on me if I did it again. Should I leave them or not? Should I keep risking their lives the longer I stay here or not?

It was a constant battle in my head that I couldn't shake off. I wanted so badly for everything to go back to normal and have any sense of tension disappear. 

I decided to pay no more mind to it and to continue going about my day. I packed my bag with my phone, wallet, and a couple of snacks then headed out the door. I quietly shut the door behind me and slowly started walking towards the the front door of the house. 

"Where do you think you're going?" A familiar voice asked me from behind. I rolled my eyes, knowing exactly who it was and being annoyed that it just had to be Yato to catch me in the act.  

"I'm just going out." I replied to him.

"Obviously, but where?" He asked as he dug his spoon in his fruit cup that he had in his hand to get another bite.

"I just want to go out to the mall for a couple of hours okay? I don't feel normal anymore."

"That's because you're not." He told me.

"I get that, but I was raised up as a normal human being with a normal human life. I'd like to experience that again every once in a while." I replied.

He paused for a moment to think to himself and then replied with, "Alright. I'm going with you."

"Wait, I never asked you or anyone else to go with me."

"Which is exactly why I'm going with you. I mean, I would've went with you with or without your permission, (y/n)."

"Are you afraid of me leaving again?" 

"Not at all," He crushed the fruit cup in his hand and threw it in the trash can that was by us. He turned back around and winked at me without a smile and said, "let's go."

-- Time skip brought to you by shiba inus --

First thing I did when we arrived at the mall was head to the food court, not just because I was hungry and wanted to eat but because it was the most populated area in the mall and I could easily lose Yato in the crowd. 

The whole time on the way to the mall was awkward. Not one word was spoken between us and I didn't want to go the whole time shopping with someone that barely speaks to me anymore. 

The amount of people in the cafe area was a bit overwhelming. However, it was the perfect setting to losing him. I was about to take my first step until I was pulled back by him. "Yeah, you thought." He chuckled and continued to walk with his hand still holding my arm. "You really think I don't know what you're trying to do, (f/n)?"

"Whatever, Yato." I rolled my eyes. 

He chuckled again and loosened his grip on my arm so that he could lower his hand to hold mine. "What are you doing?" I asked, immediately snapping my hand back. 

"I'm just holding your hand so you won't try to lose me in the crowd, dork." He took my hand back in his and I decided to not fight him because I knew I'd lose that fight anyway. 

"Where do you want to go first?" He asked me. I looked around and spotted a Galaxxxy store on the other side of the store. I pointed there and he started leading me towards the store. The whole time I wasn't even watching what was in front of me, but instead, I was watching our hands as we interlocked fingers. It gave me a sense of peace feeling his skin on mine. 

I longed for it. However, there was nothing I could do to fix the damage that had been done. I hurt him, and I'm pretty sure he hates me for it. 

-

I ended up spending a good 40 minutes inside just that one store. In the end, I picked out five different shirts, two dresses, and two sweaters. 

"That's $359.78 in total." The cashier said. 

I looked at Yato as his jaw dropped to the floor and his eyes looked like they were about to pop out. I smirked at him as I handed the cashier my card. 

"Is there any way you could pay me that much?" He asked me. "Nope." I replied as I flashed a smile at him. "Is your father --" 

"Don't even think about it." 

His mouth closed in defeat and I couldn't help but smile at him. I grabbed my bag of clothes and walked out of the store with him. As soon as we walked out of the store, I stopped to ask Yato if he wanted to go anywhere but instead, he just kept walking. 

I was confused, but I followed him anyway. "Where are we going?" I asked him.

He didn't reply but he stopped in front of a bench so that he could sit down. He patted the open spot next to him, indicating for me to sit down with him. I sat beside him not knowing what to say, because I knew exactly where this was going.

"Nothing...is ever going to stop me from finding you, wherever you are or wherever you go with or without me. You don't get to come into my life, manage to have some kind of impact on me, and then try to leave without saying a word."

He continued, "I choose you. And to be honest, it wasn't even a choice to me, really. Yeah, there was something between Hiyori and I, but then I met you and it's like you opened a new door for me. You opened a door that leads to a better me. I've lived for centuries and I'm still not the best that I can be. I didn't think I was going to reach that point until I met you. I strive to be better because of you." 

"Yato, I --" He interrupted my response by quickly yet gently grabbing my face and pressing his lips against mine. 

It lasted only for a moment and then he pulled away from me. He chuckled at the surprised look on my face and stood up in front of me.

"Come on." He held out his hand in front of me, and of course, I gladly interlocked my fingers with his and continued to walk with him.