Liam

“Why were you following me?” I do my best to mask the quiver in my voice, by acting as seductively as possible. There’s no doubt in my head, he was the one who came over to Bob’s place last night. If not, he must have gotten one of his men to do it.

“Answer my question.” His voice is low and calm: a sign of danger. I slyly glance at his hands. They’re reaching into his pocket. Shit. He has a gun in there, and we both know he wouldn’t hesitate to pull the damn trigger.

“Bob had the place for rent. I simply took the offer.” My eyes don’t leave Angel’s face.

He glares at me for a long time, before removing his hand from the side of his jeans, and shoving past me into the bar. I don’t look back. I walk out of the club and into David’s car. I lock the door and throw my head on the steering wheel. That had been close… too close. I’m no longer safe here. I need a new place, and a new car.

I slowly drive back to Bob’s place, glancing at some houses every now and then. My red lipstick has long since faded, and my hair is a mess.

David sits on the chair, waiting for me as I walk inside the house. “We need to talk,” is all he says when he sees me.

I almost drop my shoulders and sigh. “What do we need to talk about?”

“You know what we need to talk about. Don’t waste my time, Amanda.”

I fold my arms. “I don’t know what we’re supposed to talk about! Oh, wait! Are you referring to little romp in the sheets, three days ago?”

David purses his lips. “There are more pressing issues than that.”

“Well, whatever.”

“We need to either hurry out with solving our problems, or get out of this town for good,” he says, bluntly.

That makes my blood boil. How dare he think of leaving? I have a couple of things to sort out here in town. “You and I both know I can’t leave this town.”

He gestures wildly with his hands, “Then, get a move on. I just had to call my parents and tell them I wasn’t a missing person.”

My mouth runs dry. “What?”

“You know what, forget it.” David pauses for a brief moment before adding, “Have you figured out who the hell came over here last night?”

“Angel.”

Hotpants looks at me, confused. “Angel?”

I inwardly roll my eyes. “The leader of the BTK.”

“Shit! This is worse than I thought.”

“Don’t worry, I’ve got this under control,” I reply.

“Control?” David bursts out laughing. “We have nothing under control. How long do you think before he’ll find out who you really are?” I have no reply. “You need to do something about him.”

“I told him Bob had the place for rent and I bought it.” I’m quickly getting agitated. Just because the guy saved my arse once, doesn’t mean he has the right to become a control freak.

“I’ve dealt with the problem!” I seethe angrily.

“And what about Charlie?”

I grit my teeth. “He’s not going to be much of a problem.”

“Bullshit.”

I am about replying the comment when the doorbell rings. I freeze in my spot and look at Hotpants. Who the hell could it be outside the door? The doorbell rings again and Hotpants smiles slyly and walks past me. I watch open mouthed as he opens the front door.

“Hey, come on in!” He holds the door open and I watch as the person comes inside the house.

It’s a guy, and he looks our age, but a tad older; probably mid twenties, and smells like stale cigarettes. He has the darkest skin I’ve ever seen and an afro like Rhys'. His eyes are warm, yet calculating. He has his fingers in his leather jacket and his boots are old and worn out. The tattoos on his knuckles catch my attention. The letters BTK are in scripted on them. I almost turn on my heel and run. “This is Liam,” David says, as he puts his hand on his shoulder.

Liam looks me straight in the eye. “I’m here to help.”