Chapter 4: On A Roll

My second target of the day was Target #1, Amy White. I would be seeing her for the next two periods. Since she was pretty, rich and popular she would be the hardest to approach. She would be used to compliments and people being shy around her. I had to use direct approach.

"Hey Amy, what's up?" I asked with confidence after stopping in front of her desk. She looked up at me and right back down. For a second I thought she was going to ignore me but instead she replied "I'm good Sophie and you?"

She knew my name?!?

"I'm good too" keeping up my "direct approach" attitude I then said "I'm going to sit beside you"

"Okay, that's cool"

After sitting down beside her, I started to think of things to talk about. But I didn't think straight enough cause I blurted out "So how about them Lakers?"

She chuckled before asking "That's the best you got?" 

But that was an ice-breaker for us because for the rest of the period we laughed about the stupidest things we said and done. Before the bell even rang I told her that we were walking to class together and she just smiled. This direct approach thing was working. Who knew?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~

Arriving at third period, my two best friends asked me the million dollar question "How's the plan going?" 

Walking up behind me, Amy asked "What plan?"

Turning around I smiled before saying "My plan to get straight A's this year" Lie.

"Oh" Amy said before turning towards my friends.

"Amy, these are..." And I paused. I didn't want to seem totally lame to Amy just because I only had two friends. "These are two of my friends: Nicole and Wendy" I said pointing to both of them. "Wendy and Nicole? Amy"

They replied with a shy hello before sitting down. On my way to sit down by Nicole and Wendy, Amy grabbed me by the arm "Where you going?"

"To sit by Nic..."

"They'll be fine." Amy cuts me off. "They have each other. I have no one"

And there it was, Amy White's puppy dog face that everyone found irresistible and hard to say no to, one of the things she was popular for.

After a while of standing there I finally gave in. "Fine but you owe me big time." I said looking over my shoulder at my friends. They did seem fine almost as if they didn't notice I was missing.

"Yea? And what would I owe you?"

"I don't know I haven't thought about it yet" Lie.

She giggled again. "I like you Sophie, I don't know what it is about you but I like you"

I faced her and smiled widely

"We should hang out after school one day or on the weekend or something" she added on. She was good at this, making friends.

"Yea I would love to" I said. Lie.

Man, today I was on a roll.