Chapter 20: Dance With Me

"Gooooood Morning Mighty Woodpeckers!". The loud speaker cracked to life and our assistant principal, Mrs Thompson, came on and spoke. "We have some very important announcers so listen up "

Our teacher quieted the class and Mrs. Thompson continued to speak.

"Soccer season is starting soon so any one that wants to try out , meet up in the gym after school for a meeting."

A few cheers came sounded in the class.

" Also coming up is our annual spring dance. This year theme is "Stars Dance". If you want to be on the dance committee , please come see me in the front office. We have our nominees for Spring King and Queens. For King we have Michael Jones , Victor Roberts , Anthony West and Jonathan Dales. For Queen we have Amy White , Penny Lakes , Lily Young and Sophie Preston. In addition..."

I zoned the loud speaker out and started to think of my freshman year spring dance , "When Flowers Bloom ". I had worn a flowery dress to match the theme. That was Nicole and her boyfriend second date , when they were starting to get comfortable with each other , so they were all over each other. Wendy was lucky enough to get a date with a cute boy in her Physical Education class and I stood in the corner drinking punch watching everyone else having fun and now I was nominated for Spring Queen. The spring king and queen was mostly a competition between grades levels, not just the seniors.

"And that's all the news we have today Woodpeckers. I'm pecking out ". Miss Thompson chirpy voice said before hanging up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The dance in a week was the buzz of the school day. By lunch students already had their date and outfits.

"I have the perfect dress for the dance. A light blue dress. Sparkly but not blinding. Short but not showing too much. It's just...perfect for when I win Spring queen. " Amy said with a sigh across from me at the lunch table. Grace sat at my left and Anthony was no where in sight. I wondered if it wad because of me.

"Guys " my voice croaked from being dry. I sipped on my juice and tried again. " Guys. We need to talk "

Amy stopped talking about her plans for the dance and stared at me with concern. "Yea what's up ?".

Grace leaned over to my ear so I only I could hear "Is this about your dad?".

I shook my head and Amy shot us a curious glance.

"Its about us ". I said

"What about us?" Grace asked.

Anthony took a seat next to Amy .

"I'll tell you later " I said putting on a smile "So who are you going with to the dance?"

Amy glanced at me again and replied "I'm probably going with Victor. What about you Anthony? ".

My throat dried again at what she said about Victor but turned to look at Anthony to see that he was staring right at me.

"I have someone in mind".

At the corner of my eye I saw Grace smile faltered before smiling again.

"Well I don't who I'm going with but I'm volunteering for the committee " She said.

I couldn't help but wonder if she was hoping Anthony would ask her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Well here we are ". I said awkwardly pointing to my spanish class. Victor countinued to walk me to class everyday. I really enjoyed this routine and I learned something new about him everyday.

He looked at his shoe ,at me then back to his shoes.

"I was wondering if you wanted to go to the dance with me this week ?". He asked.

I scoffed, sighed and turned away "I can't go with you ".

He looked disappointed and looked ready to leave. "Can I ask why ?".

I didn't want to tell him because Amy called "dibs " on him.

"I just think you would have more fun going with Amy ". I finally said.

He made a small groaning sound before laughing "If I wanted to go with Amy I would have asked her but I'm asking you".

"I don't know if this is a good idea".

"Please come to the dance with me ".

A/N I just love Victor