Chapter 5: Best Lunch Ever

In fourth period all I could think about was my plan for Target #2, Grace Johnson. I didn't have to fake an interest and lie like I did with Anthony and Amy. With Grace, I could be 100% myself and she would still like me. She would be my easiest target.

Grace was the sweetest and preppiest girl I have ever seen, probably even in this school. She planned multiple fundraisers, two pep rallies and a blood drive in just her freshman year.

I walked Wendy to her class before going to mine, making me late. Not to class but my chance to sit beside Grace. At least there is still a seat beside Anthony. Maybe I could talk to Grace during lunch or sixth period.

"Hey Sophie" Anthony said to me smiling before I could even sit down.

"Hi An..." Again we were interrupted by our teacher giving instructions. 

"Want to work on these question with me future director?" he asked after our teacher was finished. "I read the story already"

"Yea, sure me too" Finally I was telling the truth.

We began to work on the questions together but I kept looking at Grace, every time she talked or laughed. 

"So what's up with you and Grace?" Anthony asked me out of the blue.

"I don't know what you mean" I said turning to him.

"Come on, you been staring at Grace for like the last twenty minutes."

"Who said I was looking at her? I could have been staring at that poster behind her head"

"You mean the one about different figurative languages?" he said with a smirk on his face "And you didn't exactly deny staring at her head"

I sighed before saying "It's just that I would want to meet her one day and she seem sooo cool"

"How about now?" Anthony asked.

Before I could even respond or protest Anthony yelled across the classroom "Hey Grace, come here"

Crap! I had to think fast. Act cool Sophie, act cool.

"Hey Grace" Anthony said "I want you to meet my new friend..."

"Sophie right? " Grace asked cutting in.

"Yea" I responded.

"Amy was telling me about you in our fourth period. Nice to meet you."

Before me, Grace held out her hand. I was a little surprised because I didn't know people still shook hands. I reached out and took it. She had a firm shake.

"Well since you know Amy, Anthony and I ,you are going to sit with us right?

As much as I love the offer to sit with them, I couldn't take it. B lunch was time for me, Wendy and Nicole. I approached my targets, which most people wouldn't do. I talked to them which most people wouldn't do. I came this far I could take a break.

"As much as I would love to" I said "my other friends will be waiting for me"

Looking a little disappointed, Anthony just mumbled an oh.

"But if you change your mind, just join us" Grace added walking away.

When the bell rang for lunch rang I was feeling accomplished. I befriended my three targets and they invited me to sit with them.

After sitting down with Nicole and Wendy, I gave them a quick summary on how the plan for my targets were going and when I reached the part when Grace asked me to sit with her, Wendy yelled at me.

"Why the heck are you sitting with us?".

"Because you are my friends?" It was a statement but it came out as a question.

"No, this was your plan. You have to go through with it 100%. You made it this far, continue. We will see you at home."

So I did go to the table.Even though it was without Nicole and Wendy and my  hug from David, the targets made it the best lunch ever.