Chapter 2

6 years old

The things I’ve experienced, the thing’s he’d done

Made me feel ugly, tainted…he won.

***

Tomorrow is my 7th birthday. I’m not very excited. Mummy said we won’t be doing anything special but she will try make it amazing. My body hurts a lot. Daddy got mad because I made myself a slice of toast. I was hungry and didn’t think he would mind. He hit me with his belt and called me a fat pig who was ungrateful. Mummy tried to stop him, so he hit her too. I hate daddy. He’s really mean to me and mummy.

I have lots of bruises on my body, so mummy covers them with makeup when I go to school. I hate school too. They all call me mean names and push me around. I don’t have many friends. The older kids call me a tart (and other thing), because I wear makeup. The teachers aren’t very nice either. They all pick on me. In class I’m the one that always gets in trouble. There is one nice teacher. His name is Mr. Sanick. He’s very nice to me and always talks to me. I wish he was my teacher. I wish he was my dad in fact. If he was my dad, I wouldn’t have any bruises and I’d have loads of friends and I think the teachers would like me because I’m the daughter to one of their colleagues. I learnt how to spell colleagues a week after my 6th birthday. It means people you work with. I don’t smile a lot anymore, apart from when I’m with Mr. Sanick but even then, it’s a struggle to force one.

Daddy lost his job last week. Mummy had a big argument with him. They were both screaming but daddy shut mummy up with a slap. He called her bad words like useless and other words I’m not allowed to say. He hasn’t got another job yet, so Mummy has to work extra shifts. I hate that- it means more time alone with Daddy. He came up to my room that night and touched me harshly. Mummy tried to stop him, but he pushed her down the stairs. When I went to go help her, he pinned me to the bed and said we had to finish the game. This isn’t a very fun game, I wouldn’t play it with anyone.

Mummy said I’m losing my spark. She said it with sad eyes. She’s lost her spark too. Mummy never smiles. She tries sometimes when she’s with me but apart from that, her smile is dormant. I learnt what dormant means in Geography when we were learning about volcanoes. My teacher, Mrs. Vason, got really cross with me when I kept answering all the questions.

“Does anyone know where most of the earths volcanoes are located” she had asked, expecting no one to know.

Nobody else in the class raised their hand except me.

“In the pacific, specifically the Pacific Ring of Fire. I read about it in a book from the library. Most of the worlds volcanoes are there because the Pacific Ring of Fire is most of earths subduction zones-”I rambled only to cut off by a sharp slam.

Mrs. Vason had slammed her hand firmly against her desk.

“This is the fourth question you’ve answered today. Why are you so selfish? Give your other classmates a chance! And stop being a smart arse, nobody likes a smart arse,” She spits. Some people in my class had giggled, while others were grimacing in embarrassment for me.

I learnt my first real lesson that day.

Don’t put your hand up in class. Or better yet, don’t let people know you are smart.

***
How did you like this chapter? Sorry it's a day late - I completely forgot to update.

The next update will be tomorrow. This time I wont forget ;)

Thanks. *vote comment share*