Chapter 4

Read AN at the end - its important!
Thanks xx

-

12 years old

I see happiness, I see pain,

Agony, suffering, all over again,

The world really is a bad place.

***

I snuck off to the park today. Mummy wasn’t home when dad got back, and that alone is enough to scare the living foo foo out of me. So, I ran. Out the back door, through the garden and over the fence. The park was a 10-minute walk from my house and I knew the route by heart, so it wasn’t much off a struggle to get there.

I love the park. It’s my favourite place- my safe refuge. All my best memories were made here.

~

“Smile sweetheart,” mummy says, holding a camera and pointing it at me. I give her the biggest toothy grin I can imagine making her chuckle. She’s wearing a bright yellow summer dress and is glowing. Mummy looks so happy.

Daddy had gone on a business trip for 4 days. It’s been the best 2 days ever so far. My 6-year-old self, ran to the swing and demanded to be pushed. I was soaring in the air- I felt as free as a bird. I couldn’t stop giggling. After a few minutes of swinging, I got off so other kids could have a go.

Mummy chased me around the park. I couldn’t stop laughing- I was having so much fun. She caught me soon after and tickled me, as I erupted into another string of giggles again.

~

I sit, crossed legged, on the grass, next to a tree mummy and I had a picnic on that day long ago. I don’t entirely try to amuse myself with something or entertain myself, I just watch. I watch the little kids, play on the slides and the money gym. Some kids are playing with their mum, some kids even have friends. A boy is on his father’s back next to the seesaw and a little girl is feeding the ducks with her grandmother I assume. Do you know the one thing they had in common?

They’re all loved. They’re all bursting with happiness.

Smiles paint their faces, a and laughter echoes around the park. I let out a small smile as the joy is almost contagious. My smile fades quickly as I see a small boy being man handled by his mother I think. They’re behind a tree, so I think they think no one can see them but I can. I edge closer to here what they’re saying. I know I shouldn’t eavesdrop but I’m curious to what the woman is saying.

“You’re all dirty Fredrick! Didn’t I tell you to stay clean?” the woman hisses. She is dressed in her work attire I presume, and the muddy boy is dressed in a fancy blue uniform. The uniform is from the private school we have in this town.

The small boy whimpers. He looks around 5 or 6. The woman has a harsh grip on his arm and when she lets go, a bruise is already forming.

“S-s-sorry m-mummy. I-I didn’t m-mean to,” he says. He is absolutely adorable. I wanted to hug him and squeeze his little cheeks.

The woman raises her hand. No, I think, she wouldn’t. Her palm connects with his cheek firmly. She did. The poor boy begins to cry. Nasty woman.

“Don’t let me remind you again. Now wipe your tears Fredrick, stop being a baby,” she spits. Her frown etched on her face disappears and is replaced by a cringey, fake smile as they go out into the open. My heart hurts for the little boy. I wanted nothing more than to comfort him and stop his evil mother. But I am useless; I would probably make it worse.

And anyway, how can I fight someone else’s demons, when I can’t fight mine?

***
So...did you like this chapter? What could be improved? Anything you want me to add more of?

Sorry it's so short- it seems my chapters have been getting shorter and shorter.

Should I start doing longer chapters? This means my updates wont be as frequent but they will be long.
Or,
Should I keep doing short chapters and be updating quite frequently?
Or both in a way?

Comment what you think I should do!

Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoyed it. The next chapter will be out Friday! It will be much longer than this one.

*vote, comment, share*