chapter 14

Chapter 14

~Tobias~

I wake up and look over my left shoulder to see the clock: 6 am. Tris lies in bed next to me; I've started to notice how she looks when she sleeps: both stern and beautiful.

I decide to take a shower and then wake Tris up when I get back. We need to wake all the initiates at 7, so that should be enough time for her.

After I finish my shower, I walk over to our bed and gently wake her up.

"Come on Tris, time to wake up," I say softly.

When her eyes open, I can't help but smile. Her eyes are beautiful, and I never get tired at looking at them.

As Tris gets ready for the day, I prepare eggs and toast for breakfast. She finishes at 6:50, and she looks stunning as usual.

She is wearing her black leggings with black boots and a black tank top with a black jacket that I believe is from her own initiation. A thin line of eyeliner is drawn across the top of her eyelid, and mascara coats her eyelashes.

She just looks plain beautiful.

After eating breakfast, we walk down to the initiates' room and wake them all up.

"Initiates!" Tris yells, flinging on the lights. "Wake up; time to get moving!"

They all slowly wake up, looking completely miserable.

"Stop looking like your best friend just died, and get moving!" she barks, obviously seeing the same expressions I do. Tris has surprisingly started to use this expression frequently.

"You must be in the training room by 7:55. You have less than an hour to dress and eat and do whatever the hell you want, as long as you don't kill each other," I say to them.

Tris and I then walk out and head straight for the training room, not bothering to stop for food since we already ate. Today the initiates are working with guns, which I'm still not sure some of the initiates are mature enough to handle.

Tris and I set out the targets and get the guns and ammo and set them on a table.

Tonight is our paintball game. Christina and Uriah will be team captains, and Tris and I will be the other team captains.

When the clock hits 7:55, the initiates start to jog in.

"Today we will be working with guns," I say as they line up. "We will not show you how to use them, you have to figure it out yourself. Try not to hurt anyone." The initiates all look half asleep, and I'm sure that this isn't a good idea.

"Hey, Tris," calls Ethan, a transfer from Candor, "wanna take a look at my guns? Stay back though, it could be dangerous." A huge smirk plays across his face.

Transfers have been flirting with Tris ever since they got here, and I have been trying to control my temper, but this sets me off.

As I step forward to Ethan, Tris puts a hand on my chest, a signal to back off.

"Your name's Ethan, correct?" she says harshly to him.

He just nods, obviously looking scared now. Good, is all I can think.

"Well Ethan, how mature of you," says Tris in a lighter tone. "For your information, I'm engaged, so you can stop."

"Well who's your fiancée? I need to give him a piece of me and tell him to back off my girl," says Ethan, grinning.

This makes Tris laugh, and I take it as a signal.

"Me, that's who," I say to Ethan with a glare. "Now everyone grab a gun and ammo and start shooting before I shoot you!"

There is a scramble while everyone attempts to grab a gun and ammo at the same time. Tris and I stand in the back and watch them shoot. Sarah, Rachel and Matthew are doing good so far; Becky and Ethan are doing all right, but Jason, Brenda and Andrew need a lot of work.

Once the clock hits eleven, I decide that they're hopeless and should just be let go. Nothing else will get done; the most that could happen is someone getting shot. Personally, I hope it's Ethan.

"Okay initiates," I call, "lunch! Remember, paintball is tonight. It's a Dauntless tradition, so don't mess it up."

As people start to walk out, I see Matthew, also a former Erudite, walk not to the doors, but to Tris. He puts his arm around Tris and I hear him say, "Come on Tris, why don't we skip this paintball thing, and go do something tonight."

Apparently not everyone got the message that Tris being engaged meant they should back off. As I start to walk toward Tris, I see her elbow Matthew in the ribs and push him toward the door.

"What is up with all these transfers?" Tris asks me as I come up behind her.

I pull her into a hug from behind and whisper in her ear, "They see your beauty just like I do." I kiss her on the neck, and add, "But too bad you're mine."

I grab her hand and we walk out to grab some lunch and find Christina and Uriah.
-------------------------------
Hey guys! Sorry I haven't been updating frequently, school has been super crazy these last few weeks. Now that school is out, I will be updating more!(: Thanks for dealing with me!

~Hannah😋