chapter 18

Chapter 18

~Tobias~

I let Tris sleep for as long as possible, waking her up only ten minutes before we have to leave.

"Beautiful, wake up," I say quietly, and she slowly starts to sit up. "I let you sleep in, so there's only ten minutes until we have to leave."

Tris stands and heads to the bathroom, and I walk to the dining hall to get breakfast. When I'm walking down the halfway, I notice Christina and Uriah talking in a corner, and they notice me.

I hope this tenseness goes away soon; I can't stand it, I think to myself. Once I get to the dining hall, I get a plate of chocolate chip pancakes and bacon for myself and blueberry pancakes and bacon for Tris. When I get back to our room, I'm surprised to find the door open. Shrugging it off temporarily, I walk in. Tris is sitting on our bed, ready to go with her training outfit on and hair pulled up in a bun.

Once she sees me, she smiles and walks over and gets her plate.

I don't mention the door, figuring if it was important she would say something. We finish eating just in time and make our way down to the initiates' room.

"Initiates!" Tris barks as I flip on the lights. "Time to get up. Today starts stage two, so congratulations for making this far. Most initiates break here."

Right then, Ethan, the most flirtatious initiate I've ever met, walks up to Tris. I'm mildly surprised to see him awake already.

"Hey Tris," he says in what I assume is supposed to be a seductive voice. A smirk slowly spreads across his face. "Why don't we just skip training today, and you and me go do something. How about going to that old broken down Ferris wheel?"

Does he not notice me standing right next her? If he does, he is obviously not smart enough to remember we're engaged. Tris just laughs at his comment, and is about to say something when Ethan leans in for a kiss.

Tris steps aside, and Ethan ends up kissing Sarah. Sarah pulls back immediately and punches Ethan in the jaw. Shocked, Ethan steps back, clutching the right side of his face.

Thats when Rachel walks over and punches Sarah in the gut. I've been noticing Rachel and Ethan have something going. Rachel turns around and slaps Ethan across the face and says, "Ethan! Why would you kiss her?!"

"I- I- I didn't mean to!" he stutters. "I meant to kiss Tris but she--"

"What?! Why would you try and kiss her? Ughh!" Rachel screams, obviously furious and frustrated. Sarah then regains her senses, and punches Rachel, causing them to get in a huge fight.

Tris and I just look at each other, turn and walk to the door, shouting "Ten minutes! Be in the training room"

Walking to the training room, Tris looks at me and says, "Should we have tried to stop them?"

"Nah, it would be better for them to get all their anger out now on each other."

Tris just nods back. When the initiates arrive, we start right away.

"Listen up!" says Tris. "Today is day one of stage two. For those of you who don't know what stage two is, it is where you face your fears. We walk them on a projection. It is just a simulation, but it seems real."

Frightened mutters rise from the group of teenagers.

"Today you will just face one fear, and tomorrow another, and so on," I pick up. "You will be ranked on how fast and well you handle your fear. No one will see your fears except for Tris and me. Stage three is where you face all these fears in one test, and all the Dauntless leaders will see this, including Tris and me."

"But today, lets focus on stage two," Tris says in a stern voice. "Now, the lucky person to go first today, is . . . " She groans.

"Ethan."

Ethan looks terrified as he stands up, and I don't pretend not to notice the satisfied smirk making its way across Tris's face.

---------------/--------------

hey guys! enjoy the new chapter as it takes me years to write them cause if my chaotic life(:

wooowww, 6k reads and 155 votes! couldn't imagine my story to ever get that far, you guys are the bestt. dont forget to keep voting, and recommend my story to a friend while your at it.😏

~hannah💪