chapter 17

Chapter 17

~Tris~

Today is the initiates' final test for the physical stage. So far, Susie and Ethan are in the lead, but it all depends on how well they do on this test. It can make or break people, quite literally.

I slowly drag myself out of bed only to find that Tobias is no where to be seen. I look around and see that the bathroom door is open, so he can't be in there. Irrational worry whispers in my head, but my eyes then fall on a note sitting on the table.

Tris,

I went to the dining hall to get some food. I decided to let you sleep. I'll be back soon.

4

Realizing Tobias isn't in trouble, I slowly start to get ready, not able to get my mind off of Christina's and my fight yesterday. I pull on black leggings and a black tank top then make my way go the bathroom. I pull my hair into a simple high ponytail, line my eyes with black eyeliner, coat my eyelashes with mascara, and brush grey eye shadow across my eyelids.

Out in the bedroom, my combat boots lie next to my bed; I pull them on then head out to the kitchen.

As I make my way into the kitchen, Tobias walks in with two plates full of food, including cake.

"Hey beautiful," he says, walking over to me and giving me a kiss on the cheek. He sets down the food on our table and motions for me to sit down. With a small smile, I sit beside him and begin to eat the pancakes and bacon.

Silence weighs down on us as we eat. I say nothing, and Tobias understands. What happened yesterday has messed me up, and I'm not in the mood for talking. Finally, as I'm finishing a last bite of cake, Tobias touches my hand, motions toward the door, signalling that it's time to go.

I get up and walk toward the door, Tobias's hand wrapped around mine. As we walk down the hallway, we pass Uriah and Christina.

We just stare at each other, Christina and Uriah giving me a guilty look, and me giving them a "I'm still mad" look.

Shouldn't I be happy for her? She is my best friend, and when I see she has finally found happiness again, I feel angry and bitter toward her. I get that things are going to be weird, awkward, and tense for a while, which doesn't help when I consider the fact we are about to enter stage two of initiation, which is going to require my full mental awareness.

Once we pass each other, Tobias squeezes my hand to let me know I still have him. And, honestly, I don't know what I would do if I didn't.

---------------------------------

hey guys! so I'm super sorry I haven't updated in over a month, it has just been really crazy for me! now school has started, so hopefully I will be able to update more! thanks! don't forget to comment and vote!

~Hannah💁