Perfect Storm

Huffing of breaths.

Thumping of footsteps.

Cracking and tumbling of burning objects from afar.

The thickness and warmth of the atmosphere increasing.

Heat waves rippling against the tiled floor of the Keystone Centre, the home rink of the Brandon Wheat Kings.

Rushing through the concourse in their super suits are Matteo and Brett with determined expressions.

"Are you sure there's someone in here?" Matteo shouts over to Brett.

Brett nods his head vehemently, sweat dripping down his face. "Yes! Jake Dog said so! It's the first!"

"Okay, let's go into the rink!" The Master makes a sharp turn to his right, darting through an opened archway.

Brett dashes behind him in his hefty suit. He immediately feels the shift of atmosphere: the air is much more open and warmer; the sounds of crumbling and crackling are more clearer, including its source.

Lining the ice rink and rushing up the audience seats is a sweep of black-coloured fire. It is expanding in its width, reducing everything in its path to rubble in a matter of seconds.

Brett's eyes are wide open at the supernatural sight. "What on—?" He catches his sentence in his throat as he spots something much more surprising.

Standing by the boards in front of the first row with his attention on the fire is a masked man.

He has a glass visor covering most of his face, only showing his mouth downward. Although his visor is made out of glass, his eyes are unable to be seen due to a permanent glare. Above the black band that holds his visor is his mound of light brown, voluminous hair. His attire consists of a black, leather jacket with matching gloves, belt, pants, and boots; tucked under his jacket is a dark gold-coloured scarf.

"I think we found him," Brett hears Matteo state.

A smile spreads across his face as he turns to the Master. "Let's get him before he escapes."

Right away, Matteo snaps his hands by his ear, conjuring a ball of deep blue water. He then releases straight down at the roaring dark fire, extinguishing a massive part of its edge.

The masked man immediately snaps his head up at the two, notifying them they have caught his attention.

"Stop!" Brett bellows.

Instantly, two heavy-duty barrels lift from his shoulders into view and emit speedy rounds of red energy bullets the man.

Brett continues firing at him with sharp, locked eyes at him as he begins stepping up to him.

The energy bullets rush at the man, yet before striking him, they disintegrate into sparks. Therefore, an array of sparks flutter in front of him.

Suddenly, the man flicks his hands, materializing a hefty machine gun in each hand. He aims the guns at Brett and begins firing back at him.

The bullets instantly strike Brett's thick armour, creating cacophony: CLANG! CLANG! CLANG!

"Whoa!" Brett immediately halts his attacks and himself in the middle of the aisle and holds his wide arm over his head. A shield forms in front of his arm, protecting his face from the raining bullets.

"You okay?" he hears Matteo bellowing at him.

"Do something!" Brett hollers, scrunching his face as he tenses at the impact of the bullets.