Chapter 7

LIAM

      “Foul!! You big headed pig.” Syd screams at me.

I’ve never been very much good at basketball, but Syd has, so she’s teaching me how to play the game correctly for this competition against Zayn. He’s going to learn not to undermine me.

“Is the name calling really necessary Syd?” I say, hardly breathing from all the drills she has me doing.

“Well next time don’t shove me to the ground, this isn’t wrestling.”

“I’m sorry, jeez.” I chuckle as she throws the ball my way.

“Alright, let’s start with some three pointers after this. Those are always important.”

“I can do this, I’m tall with long arms. No big deal.”

“It’s not about being tall or lengthy Liam, it’s about precision and concentration and angles. It all depends where you are at the moment. Understand?”

“Yeah I guess.”

I toss the ball towards the next from the free throw line without giving it a second thought. I miss.

“See, that’s what I mean, you can’t just assume you’re going to make it, you have to think quickly about how that ball is going to get into the net each and every time you try and shoot one of these.”

“You make it sound like science and math Syd, relax.”

“To a lot of people it is a lot about math and what not. It just depends if your heart is really in the game.” She says, grabbing the ball.

She walks towards the free throw line and stands there for a moment, then she bends her knees, raises her arms and shoots the ball. She makes it.

“Nice.” I say clapping.

I love when she gets all passionate about something, she scrunches up her eyebrows and purses her lips. She can fixate on something for the longest, and if she wants to understand something but doesn’t, she will learn everything and anything she can about the subject. She will make something her main priority if she really thinks it’s important, even if it’s not to anyone else. Sometimes I don’t think there’s a girl like her in the world. She doesn’t know it, but I’ve always been in love with her.

“Hey, do you want to take a break and go grab some food?” I call out to her.

Part of me wants to tell her how I feel, but another part of me knows it won’t make a difference.

“Sure! I’m starving from teaching your lousy butt how to play!” She says with a grin on her face, playfully pushing me.

SYD

      “So I begged Coach to just keep me captain, but he was insistent on this competition. I know I can kick Zayn’s ass, but it’s just a lot of work you know? Liam says to me as we are walking towards our favorite pizza parlor.

“Yeah I get it. Don’t worry, with me on your side helping you, you’re going to wipe the floor with Zayn in every category.” I say, smiling at him.