Chapter Fourteen - Should I Stay or Should I Go?

{Landon}

I ran my hand through my hair as I closed the front door behind me. I was exhausted from the fight I just had, but I needed the money, and I still needed to check in with my mom.

"Mom, I'm home!" I yelled, walking into the kitchen and stopping by the fridge. I looked down at the still splintered cupboard, which we have yet to get fixed.

"I'm working on getting it replaced. I just don't have the money right now," my mom said as she appeared in front of me.

"It's - it's fine. I'll take care of it. I mean, I did it," I told her. Ever since our fight when I lost my temper, things have been pretty tense between us. She didn't even know that Kota and I had started dating, but she knew we'd gone on a couple dates.

"You don't have to keep helping me. I'm the mom," she said. I sighed.

"I know."

"And why didn't you tell me that you and Dakota have been dating for a month now?" she wondered. I groaned.

"Because I don't want to make a big deal out of it," I replied.

"Why the hell not!? She's your first real girlfriend!" my mom yelled excitedly. I rolled my eyes and threw my hands up.

"Well, there's why," I said, the corner of my mouth twitching up into a smile. My mom shook her head and walked over to me, wrapping an arm around my waist.

"I'm just happy for you, that's all. She seems like a nice girl," she told me. I nodded.

"She is. Wait, when did you meet her? I haven't introduced you two yet," I asked.

"She stopped by earlier and invited us to her family's Thanksgiving dinner this week. I think we should go," my mom explained.

"Why didn't she come to me? And we don't have to go. I don't mind hanging out at the house like we usually do," I said, trying to get out of it. She shook her head.

"It'll be fine, and fun. You'll get to meet her family and I'll be able to meet her parents. It will be good for us," my mom explained.

"Fine mom, we can go... for a couple hours," I agreed.

"Good."

**************

Ring, ring, ring. Ring, ring, ring. I rolled over, groaning. Who the hell is calling me at this hour?

"Hello?" I asked, my voice half muffled by the pillow my face was still buried in.

"Hey lil' bro," a voice I hadn't heard in months said. I propped myself up on my elbows.

"Hey!" I replied, grinning. Michael chuckled.

"What're you up to right now?" he asked.

"Well I was sleeping, but uh, not anymore," I responded.

"Oh cool, cool," he trailed off.

"Are you coming home for Thanksgiving? Because mom has this crazy idea that we should go to Dakota's for Thanksgiving and I'm not so sure how that's gonna go," I blabbered. Michael was quiet.

"Who's Dakota?"

"Oh damn, that's right," I said. "You really need to come home and visit more often. I mean I haven't seen you in... five years? Since you first left home? And you rarely call..." I started.

"Oh come on, Lan. Not you too. I was already chewed out by mom when I called her this morning," he groaned. I chuckled.

"Well in my defense, you brought this on yourself. I mean you're the one that hasn't been home in years," I defended. Michael sighed.

"Yeah, well you know my reason."

"Mike, dad hasn't been around since you left. He was off in Vegas last I heard, getting drunk and gambling probably," I told him.

"I know, I know. There are just too many bad memories there. I still have the scar on my back from our one Disneyland trip," he explained. I sighed.

"I know. And I still have the scars on my temple and all over my torso. And at least you got to leave," I snapped angrily. Michael sighed.

"I'm sorry. I still regret leaving you, but I had to get out. I know you understand that," he pushed. "Anyway, I called to say hi and tell you 'Happy Thanksgiving.' I didn't mean to start an argument."

"How's the band?" I asked, skipping over his apology. Not long after Michael left home, he joined a rock band and plays bass. He's actually really good.

"It's good! We finally signed that deal I told you about last time, and we're in the middle of our first album. It should be ready within the next six months, maybe," he described. "Oh, but I should go. The guys need me. It was good to hear your voice, little brother."

"Bye Michael," I said. The line went dead and I fell back on my bed. I couldn't wait to leave this town. Michael was busy living it up in the heart of New York, while I was stuck here, with my crappy childhood memories and my self inflicted debt.