Chapter Twenty Four - Aftermath

{Elle}

"Someone should go find Landon," Pierce advised, his hands in his pockets.

"I will," I offered, standing up from my seat and pulling my sleeves down over my hands. Pierce eyed me but nodded, so I walked down the hall, finding him in an empty room. "Knock, knock." Landon sniffled and looked up from his spot on the floor. He looked defeated and tired, and in the years I've known him, he's never looked like this. It scared me. Landon has always been the tough one in our group, and now... now he looks like he's barely holding it together.

"Hey Elle," he greeted, his voice hoarse. He ran a hand through his hair and took a deep breath.

"How are you doing?" I asked, crossing my arms and walking over to him.

"I shouldn't be here," he replied, standing up. "I mean it's - this is my fault, Elle. I'm the reason she's here." He ran his hands back over his hair and then rested his clasped hands on the back of his head.

"Landon, you couldn't have known this would happen," I told him, watching him drop his arms to his side and then cross them over his chest.

"I should go. Her parents hate me and there's nothing I can do here anyway," he told me, heading for the door. I blocked his path. "Elle..." he said, his voice filled with warning. I'd never seen him like this with us.

"Just hear me out, alright? I'm not going to tell you that she'll be okay, because I don't know. I hope she'll pull through, I think she will. I mean she's strong, Landon, but she needs you. If she makes it and wakes up and you're not here..." I trailed off.

"I can't lose her," he told me, his voice wavering. I nodded, tears threatening to fall down my cheeks. 

"I know," I replied, pulling him into a hug and rubbing his back. He sniffled and pulled back a couple minutes later, his eyes red.

"Thank you." I nodded and he left, going back toward the waiting area.

I let out a breath, leaning against the wall outside the room I'd found Landon in.

"Elle? Are you okay?" Pierce questioned, coming down the corridor. I pushed myself off the wall, walking to meet him. 

"I don't know. Dakota was shot, Pierce," I replied. "She's one of my best friends and now..."

"I know, I know. Come here," he muttered, pulling me into a hug. He wrapped his strong arms around me and I couldn't take it anymore. I broke down, sobbing into his chest, and he just held me.