Chapter Ten - First Date

{Landon's POV}

 "You actually asked her out?" Pierce asked me. He was leaning against his kitchen counter, sipping on a water bottle, same as me. We'd just finished working out in his gym room, and yes, he has a gym room; along with a pool, a game room, and about a million other rooms. His parents own a damn mansion.

"Yes, I did. Should I not have?" I asked, skeptical. Pierce shook his head.

"That's not what I meant. I just didn't know you knew how to actually ask someone out," he joked.

"Ha. Ha," I said dryly, which just caused Pierce to laugh.

"Sorry, sorry. What're you gonna do?" he asked. I glared at him.

"Like I'd tell you," I replied. He rolled his eyes.

"I won't judge. I promise," he said with a slightly sarcastic tone.

"Fine. You know that carnival a couple hours away?" I asked him. He nodded. "Well I'm taking her there. She loves photography, and the view from the top of the ferris wheel is definitely picture worthy," I explained. Pierce nodded slowly and sipped his water. "What?"

"Are you sure you've never like, secretly had a girlfriend? Because that's a totally cliché move and she'll love it," Pierce replied. I chuckled.

"So, since we're done talking about Dakota and I, maybe we should discuss you and Elle?" I wondered.

"What do you mean, me and Elle? There's nothing there," Pierce told me. Bullshit. I scoffed.

"Right, I'm sure. I mean it's not like you've been in love with her since our freshmen year," I teased. He groaned and shook his head.

"Just because I may or may not have liked her for a long time doesn't mean I'm going to ask her out," he said defensively. I chuckled.

"Are you jealous because I managed to ask the new girl out before you could ask out Elle, who you've been chasing for years?" I joked. I love screwing with him, especially about Elle, because she hadn't even given him the time of day until our second half of junior year.

"No, because Dakota doesn't know you well enough yet to know she should've said no, but enough about it, Landon. What time do you have to pick up Kota?" he asked. Ignoring his comment, I checked my phone.

"Crap! In fifteen minutes. I still need to go home and shower so I don't smell," I said, getting up and gathering my gym bag, phone, and wallet off the counter.

"Have fun, but not too much fun," Pierce called as I ran out of his house. I chose not to respond and sped home instead.

**************

I took a deep breath and knocked on Dakota's front door. It was five thirty, and we had an hour and a half drive ahead of us. We were taking my mom's car, because I wasn't about to drive an hour and a half on my motorcycle with Dakota, America's Most Paranoid, Miller.

The door opened and I found myself face to face with a man I assumed was Kota's father.

"Are you Landon?" he asked. I gulped. I never did the whole 'meet the parents' thing.

"Yes sir," I managed to say without choking or my voice cracking.

"Dad!" Dakota yelled from inside. He watched me but backed up enough to allow Dakota to get through. "Bye."

"Ten o'clock. Not later," her dad said. Dakota nodded and grabbed my hand, dragging me away from the door.

"It's a good thing I didn't bring my motorcycle," I said as we walked down the driveway.

"Why?" she wondered as I opened her door for her. She raised her eyebrows.

"Don't look so surprised. I know how to be a gentleman," I stated. She nodded, smirking, and then I closed her door, going around to mine.

"Anyway, your dad already hates me, and he hasn't even seen the bike yet," I answered. She chuckled.

"He doesn't hate you. He doesn't even know you yet, and it's fine. I can handle my dad," she told me. I sighed. "Where are we going?" she asked as I pulled onto the freeway.

"It's a surprise, but get comfortable. It's a bit of a drive," I replied. She shrugged.

"I actually kind of like long car rides. There's something soothing or relaxing about them," she described. I chuckled.

"That's how I feel on my motorcycle," I told her.

"How long have you had it?"

"Since I could drive. It used to be my older brother Michael's, but he moved away right after high school and left it. So I fixed her up and now she's mine," I explained.

"You have an older brother? Is that the kid in those photos at your house?" she questioned, sounding surprised. I chuckled awkwardly, running a hand through my hair.

"Maybe I should just tell you a little more." That just earned me a laugh.

"Feel free. I'm pretty good at keeping secrets."

We spent the whole car ride talking about my brother, a little about my mom, and avoiding the topic of my father. Well, I did that. She didn't need to know everything, at least not anytime soon. She told me about Florida before she moved, a little more about her family, and even about her anxiety, which apparently has gotten better since she's gotten older. Mine is touch and go, but I chose not to speak with her about it.

"We're here," I said, putting the car in park. She grinned.

"Talk about cliché," she commented. I stayed silent. "I love it."

I chuckled, sighing in relief, and followed her out of the car. I took in the scene around me. In the distance, you could see the top half of the ferris wheel completely lit up, which I would take her on last. Through the front entrance, I could already see the booths lining the wide path. They had cotton candy booths, churros, popcorn, pretzel carts, funnel cake, corn dogs, and more. My stomach growled as the buttery, salty scent reached my nose, mixed with the sweet smell of cinnamon and sugar and fried goodness. I wanted food.

"Let's go!" Kota yelled excitedly, walking in front of me and turning in a circle. I could already tell this girl was going to drive me mad, but I was okay with that.