Chapter Sixteen - Breakdowns

{Landon}

"So, it's just the two of you then?" Kota's dad asked. We had finished off dinner with minimal conversation, and now we were snacking on pie.

"Yes. Well, I have an older son, Landon's brother Michael, but he left home after graduation," my mom explained. I've never liked this type of conversation because it always leads to my father, and that makes me anxious.

"Are you okay?" Dakota asked me, placing a hand on my bouncing knee. Had I not been freaking out inside, I might've been slightly turned on, but that wasn't the case. So I nodded, but she shot me a look, and I knew she didn't believe me.

"I'm fine," I promised. Dakota nodded but watched me skeptically for a moment before turning back to her piece of pie.

"So how about the man of the house?" her dad asked.

"Dad!" Dakota hissed.

"It's alright Dakota," my mom began, turning to Kota's father. "Landon's father actually left us about five years ago. There was a lot of drama with his drinking and... he was also abusive, with quite a temper, so we don't mention him much."

"Oh, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean-" Mr. Miller began.

"No, no. It's fine. We're pushing through," mom replied. All of a sudden, I couldn't take it anymore. My chest tightened up and my breathing quickened. I felt like I was suffocating. I was having a panic attack.

"I - I can't-" I tried, pushing my chair out. My head swam as I rushed out the front door. I fell onto my knees on the front lawn and put my head between my knees like I'd learned to do when I was younger.

After a few moments and my breathing had slowed, I lifted my head, staying on my knees, and looked out at the lit up streets. There were windows pouring light onto the street from all the houses filled with families stuffing themselves until their belts broke, and cars lined the street, too close together.

I heard soft footsteps coming down stairs and then her hand was in my hair, lightly playing with the strands of it. It was an absent-minded action, which was oddly relaxing, and I immediately knew she was trying to figure out what to say.

After a few minutes of comfortable silence, she spoke. "I'm not going to ask you to talk about it right now, but when you're ready... if you're ready, I'll be here," Dakota told me. I stayed quiet, leaning my head against her thigh. She continued messing with my hair.

"I really like you, Dakota Miller," I said. She didn't laugh or chuckle like I expected her to. She knew what I meant.

"I really like you too, Landon Hudson," she replied. I grinned, careful not to let her see, and stood up, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. We stayed like that for an hour, quietly watching the trees bend in the wind, a stray leaf floating away every now and then.