Chapter Twenty Nine - Graduation

{Landon}

I took a deep breath and flipped open the tiny black box in my hand, my heart racing.

"Whoa," a voice said. I jumped, snapping the box shut and holding it behind my back as I turned.

"Pierce-"

"Please tell me that's not what I think it is."

"It's not an engagement ring," I told him, setting the box on my dresser and crossing my arms.

"So then it's what? A promise ring?" he questioned, being slightly sarcastic.

"It is." He just stared at me.

"You're serious?" he wondered. I nodded, sighing, and sat down on the end of my bed.

"I love her, man. I mean, I haven't told her that yet, but she's been with me through a shooting, as well as a lot of other crap," I explained. I hadn't told Pierce anything about me being involved with a gang or anything, so he thought I was blaming myself for the incident. He doesn't know that it actually was my fault.

"The shooting was random. Even the cops said so. It was a wrong place, wrong time type of thing. That doesn't mean you need to promise to marry her one day."

"Why are you trying to talk me out of this? It's not an engagement ring. It's just me saying I love her and plan to stick around," I explained. He huffed.

"Because I don't want you to make a mistake," he replied. I chuckled, standing up.

"Screw you, Pierce. You're my best friend, man. We've known each other since kindergarten. I love her, Pierce. I can't let her go, at least not without letting her know how I feel about her. I mean we're leaving for college soon. Do you know how hard that's going to make it?" I wondered angrily. He's supposed to be supporting me, not making me feel like a bad friend for finally doing something that's good for me.

"Exactly, Landon. College. Who knows if you two will last? I mean she could meet someone else, or you could," he told me, standing up too.

"You don't get it, do you? I don't want to meet anyone else. Don't you get that? I can't just forget everything she did for me and what she went through for me. I can be myself with her, Pierce, which is something I haven't felt in a long time. And I'm not the type of guy to get involved in your drama, but you need to get over your own sack of sorry shit and leave mine alone. Elle left. I'm sorry about that, I really am, but just because you're unhappy and pissed off doesn't mean I need to be," I said defensively. He stood there quietly, possibly in shock, so I took the opportunity to grab the ring and my cap and gown and head out of the room.

**************

I ran a hand through my hair and played with the tassel on my hat, which was in my lap, as I sat, waiting for the ceremony to start.

"Hey. What's wrong?" Dakota whispered, wrapping her arms around my chest from behind. I looked up at her from my seat, her beautiful green eyes full of worry, and her short sandy blonde hair falling over one side of her face as she looked down at me.

"I'm fine," I lied. I don't want Pierce and my's argument to get in the way of today. She kissed my cheek as someone called her name. We both looked over toward the sound and I saw a brunette I've never seen before.

"I'll be right back, okay?" she said. I nodded, giving her a tight smile, and she left.

"Hey bud," Andi greeted, coming up next to me.

"Hey Andi."

"Are you alright?" she wondered, sitting next to me. Of all the girls, Andi and I talked the least. She's closest to Dillon, who hates my guts, and has refused to speak to me for the last few months, which doesn't bother me much if I'm being honest. "I'm not here for information for Dillon," she added. I cracked a smile.