Moondust - 1

Unedited

~A/N: Picture of Nikolai Peyton~

"Lyda, is that you?" A voice asked behind her. She turned around to see the face that had spoken to her. Her jaw dropped to the floor. He had changed since the last time she saw him. It had been three years since she saw him. She didn't think that he'd look this different. The man that stood before her was nothing like the immature twenty year old she remembered. He was now twenty three.

"Nikolai?" She blinked at her brother. She would never been able to recognise him if he never called out her name. He was taller (if that were possible), more muscular and tanner than before. He had a slight stubble around his chin and upper lip, giving him one of those shaggy looks. She'd be lying if she said it didn't suit him. Before he had a clean face and his skin was quite pale, making him look like one of those male models.

"Wow, Lyda! You've hanged so much! What did America do to you?" He asked her, his eyes going wide as he took his sister in. She could understand his shock. She had changed so much since she was in New Zealand. She had liked that she changed. But now, she was scared that she would fall back into her old habits. That was something she forbid to happen.

"Me? Dude, maybe you should check a mirror!" She laughed at him. She forgot how much she missed her brother. She remembered all those moments from when he used to mock her and blame things on her when she was no less than five years old. But soon after he became the overprotective older brother that she had loved so much. He eyes began to water at the memories and before Kol could reply to her remark about his appearance, she tackled him into a hug, wrapping her arms around him and burying her face in her chest. "I missed you." She mumbled into him and he chuckled, bringing his arms around her.

"I missed you too."

-

During the car ride back home, they used the time to catch up. Kol told her that not long after she left, he had become the Beta of the pack and Deuce had become Alpha. She had asked if Deuce had a mate yet. Sadly, Kol had said that he hadn't found her yet. Oh man, this pack has gone for such a long time with out a Luna, she thought. Though she doubted Deuce was actually trying to find his mate. If she were him, she would wait it out and see what would happen. There's no way she would want to risk the pack, especially if it was her third year as Alpha. She felt sorry for Alpha Whitlock, Deuce and Sofia's dad. He must be going through hell. His mate died. He's taking care of teenage girl all by himself, and on top of all that, he's helping to train Deuce to be a good Alpha. And then once Deuce finds his mate? She didn't know how long his mate would last, but she was positive it wasn't going to be for more than six years.

Lyda wondered about her mate. She didn't really want her mate. Because, well she didn't know when, but she was going to go back to America and start her life with James. She loved James and was horrified that she had to leave. And besides, what if she's already met her mate. Lyda thought back to the times where the teachers would tell them about finding mates. Female wolves don't know who their mate is, until she meets him when they're both in wolf form. She never got why that happened, but she never questioned it.

Oh, James. She thought. She couldn't forget the heart broken look in his eyes when he told her the news. She couldn't bare the guilt she had, knowing it was her fault. When James turned eighteen, he had sniffed out his mate. He was overjoyed to find his mate/Luna. But was a little upset that she was only fifteen. So he waited a whole year to tell her and on her sixteenth birthday, he broke the news. But his response wasn't what he thought he'd get. She rejected him, and the next day she ran away. He was heartbroken. But he told Lyda that the minute he saw her, it's like his heart had mended. Now, she had caused him another heart break, one she was not happy about.

It doesn't matter, she thought. The minute she turns eighteen, she was going to go back to him. No matter what it took.