Moondust ~ 16

~A/N: Okay! I may have found a way around it! Let's just hope that it works! Also, this book finally got 1K reads!!! That's amazing... well it's amazing for me.

Picture of Ayesha Irani~

"Hey, do you remember Samantha Easternburg?" Ayesha Irani asked Lyda as they made their way through the food court in the mall and sat down on the table. Ayesha was another good friend of Lyda's. They didn't really hang out, they were more school mates than girls who hang out with each other. But here they were hanging out together.

"Sammie? Of course I do! Kadee and I used to baby sit her together," she told Ayesha. "Why?"

"Well she's celebrating her sixteenth on Friday." Ayesha said and Lyda stopped eating her McDonalds large fries.

"This Friday?" Lyda repeated, making sure she heard Ayesha clearly.

"Yeah."

"How do I not know this?" In truth, Lyda was a little mad. Sammie Easternburg was like another sister to Lyda. Not knowing that she was having a birthday party- a sixteenth birthday party, hurt.

"I don't know," Ayesha said sarcastically. "Maybe it has something to do with you never leaving your boyfie's room." Ayesha wiggled her brow and Lyda threw a chip at her. "Hey, but do you know what makes this day even better?"Ayesha said after sipping the salty grease from her forehead. "Dress shopping!" She squealed.

Lyda and Ayesha spent a good three hours in the mall, trying to find the perfect dresses. And they finally did. Ayesha dropped Lyda off to the pack house where James was staying.

"Whoa, what is all of this?" James said as Lyda entered his room. James was lying on the white bed, surrounded by the dark red, fluffy blanket and a variety of red pillows. In the background, there was a low mourning of a females voice and she noticed that he had the TV on.

"This is my dress for a ball this Friday," Lyda said as she set down her bags on the plush, brown carpet. She walked over and sat on the bed, pulling off her shoes as she climbed in. James had out his hand around her and she snuggled into him.

"There's a ball on Friday?" He asked and Lyda nodded her head against his chest.

"And it's plus one."

"Meaning?" Lyda sat up on the bed and stared at the love of her life.

"Meaning," she said softly. "That you're going to be my date." His reaction was not what she expected, at all. He too sat up on the bed. She knew something was wrong just by the way he avoided his gaze from her. "James," Lyda nudged him. "What's the matter?" He was silent, another indication that something was terribly wrong.

"I'm leaving on Friday morning." It was as if time froze. No longer did she feel happy. Lyda gazed up at James, but it was as if he was doing everything, but looking her in the eye. She didn't know what to say. She shifted slightly on the bed. To say that she was confused was an understatement.

Lyda opened her mouth to say something, but nothing came out.

"I-" she started. "Why?" It came out like a whimper and Lyda hated how weak her voice sounded.

"I've been here for too long, Lyda. My pack needs me," he finally turned to look at her and Lyda almost died as she looked at the face she loved for nearly two years. "You know that." Lyda sighed. As much as she hated to admit it, he was right. A pack could only go so long without their Alpha. Having your Alpha around was hope for all the members. Sometimes the Beta was just not enough. Lyda didn't say anything to him. She wasn't sure how about how she felt. "Lyda, please, say something." James begged her. The sorrow in his voice made her so sad.

"We only have two days with each other." Was all Lyda said.

"And we'll finish it with a bang." Lyda looked up at James. She didn't understand what he meant. His eyes had glazed over, like he was thinking so intensely about something.

"James?" She asked in a soft voice. His dark eyes looked down at her and he smiled.

"We don't have that long," he said and Lyda frowned. Why does he look so happy about that? "So let's make everyday count."