Being a Hero

"You gotta be kidding me." Jay had gotten yet another glass of water chucked over him.

"No sleeping on the job! You were already late! Get up and do some work!" His manager shouted and walked off.

"Get a grip, man." Jay lifted his head of his desk and turned to look at his computer which alone sent him to sleep, forget trying to work.

"Ok, need to some work." He said to himself and started tapping random buttons on the keyboard.

What had been happening to him lately? He had started to see Ade in a completely different light. Jay couldn't stop thinking about her and found himself describing her in the most poetic fashions..

They had been friends for 19 years through and through. They had been through everything; good and bad. But he never thought he would think of her in this way, and even if he did, he was sure she didn't LIKE him.

After a while of some hard work, his phone started beeping. He flipped it opened and smoothly said:

"Hello?"

"Is this Jason?"

He looked confused and looked at the mobile screen and saw it was Ade's phone. He suddenly became sick with worry.

"Yeah, why? What wrong? Why have you got Ade's phone?" His voice was increasing in volume by the minute.

"Adira's department was attacked. Some robbers came in and threatened to bomb the place, but Adira wouldn't have any of it. So one of them beat her up pretty badly and the place has been bombed but everyone got out safely including Adira. She asked me to phone you seeing as she can't."

Jay froze at those words. His entire being shivered with rage and fury. He could not quite believe what was being said. Anger was threatening to take over.

"Where are you? Tell her I'm coming and don't move." He shoved his phone into his trouser pocket and ran out of the front door.

"Hey, where do you think your going?" His manager called after him but he hardly gave a care. All he thought about was if Adira was ok. He revved his car into life and thrust the pedal with his foot and sped of.