Prologue

A burning sensation is all it takes and you are branded forever. Not just your skin but your soul.

Some call it The Infection.

For centuries humans have had their superstitions about us and some have even tried to hunt us but one thing they can never do is eradicate us. They do this out of fear of the unknown, and fear is what my kind thrive on.

I have heard of humans desperate to be marked and turned by us, even going as far as handing over their families to be feasted on. Only humans can sink as low as that.

My human life was short, twenty three years too short to be exact. I was the first of the select few to be marked to begin with.

Being turned is worse than anybody can ever imagine; the searing pain starts from where you were bitten and spreads across the surface of your skin and when you think it is finally over it starts to push its way into every pore, every cell that builds up your flesh and intoxicate you. You are totally and utterly helpless through the whole transition, paralysed where you fell. You can’t see, touch, taste, hear or smell, all you can do is lie there in darkness.

The pain starts to fade after what feels like an eternity and you open your eyes. The light hurts at first but then the brightness fades and you can see everything in such amazing detail. Just as you think about moving you have already done it and you are on your feet, flexing your muscles that feel like they could demolish a skyscraper just with a small, effortless push. You stop and think for a split second and that’s when you’ll hear the last shuddering beat of your once pure heart, silenced for the rest of eternity. By far the best part is the heightened sense of smell, the delicious scent of human blood makes your mouth water and all you want to do is follow it and sink your aching fangs into the soft flesh of your victim.

You question yourself, wandering if you’re actually in the same place. Maybe I am dead and in Heaven?

Running after your prey is so exhilarating, feeling the fear flowing off them until you decide you can’t wait any longer and feed deeply until they run dry. The sweet crimson nectar never lasts long and you go in search of another to repeat the process over and over. Nothing can stop you, your humanity totally lost along with your soul.

Hey, thank you so much for reading this chapter. Please comment or tweet me @ZaynsMyBabe to tell me what you think so I can improve my work :D x