Chapter 13 - Memories

I don't remember much from my blood filled haze but I do have one memory that has stayed with me to this very day.

The day I met the girl from Benjamin's funeral.

She was exactly as I imagined her. I couldn't see her under that black lace but I had a feeling she had blond hair and a kind face.

It was the year of 1930, I was in one of my moods. I moved to New York five years earlier and was a regular at a small bar called Honey's. I stepped through the door and breathed in the mouthwatering smell of the room full of humans. Something caught my attention and instantly snapped me out of my irritated mood.

I could smell a distinct scent, it had a sweet hint to it like peaches. I followed it until I saw a girl sat alone at a table. She wore a cream coloured coat with a faux fur collar which fit perfectly around her tiny waist, her hair blond hair hung loose (unlike the pinned up trend of the time) and had a strawberry hint to it. She had a small frown on her face as she looked down at her glass which only had half its contents. Her skin was as pale as mine and she had a few cute freckles dotted on her cheeks and nose.

I strode confidently towards her, she looked up slightly but then drifted her eyes towards her drink.

'May I sit here?' I asked politely whilst resting my hand on the top of the chair.

'I suppose.' She said still with her eyes fixed on the glass, I slid out the chair and sat down.

'Have we met before?' Finally she looked at me. She frowned and shook her head.

'No I don't think so.' I returned her frown. I was sure it was her, I know I didn't see her face but I knew it was her. 'Where are you from? You don't sound like you're from here.' She said in an English accent with a hint of another accent.

'I came from a small town in England.' She smiled slightly. 'Where are you from?' I said returning the smile.

'I moved from Germany...um a few years ago.' She said it like she wanted to believe it was only a few years.

'It's ok I know.' I said quiet enough for only her to hear.

'I thought it was just me.' She whispered to me. I shook my head.

A tall man entered the room, it wasn't hard to tell that he was one of us. He had a stern look on his face as he scanned the room. His hard eyes landed on the girl I was sat next to.

She stood up quickly and muttered that she had to go under her breath. She was shaking slightly and left with the man.

I didn't find out her name.

------------------------------------------------

At some point in the 1950s I met somebody like me that was running away from their creator. Her name was Emily, we always had each others backs. She was almost like a mother to me even though I was older than her.

We both returned to our homeland to find it had changed a great deal than what we remember. Emily was born in 1926 and was turned in 1944 on her 18th birthday.

She didn't tell me much about her past, I think she would just prefer to forget it but I knew that her creator was a woman.

We moved into a small cottage deep inside a picturesque forest. It was our safe haven even though we were never exposed to humans it just felt better to just be away from the humans. We mostly hated having to move around a lot because humans noticed we weren't aging.

We were happy not having to run or move. But one day that all came crashing down.