Chapter 23 - Watching, Waiting

*Five Years Later*

I sat there watching her through the window, she was playing with one of her knitted dolls. Sat opposite were the twins, Rose and Charlie. They were as sweet as Megan was when she was their age but to me she always glowed, even when tears would pour down her cute chubby cheeks.

Megan was my mate I knew that much and all I wanted to do was protect her. Most of the day and all of the night I would stand guard either in a high tree branch or on the outskirts of their small but beautiful garden. I( don't know why I would think that anything would try and hurt her, there was nobody about and there was no reason to but still I stood guard.

Her mother would always be making her little dresses even if there was no occasion and putting ringlet rags in her hair overnight to produce bouncing curls in the morning. I could see that Megan was the apple of her mothers eye but sometimes I would see her overshadowed by the twins constantly seeking attention from their mother.

I was in love with that girl and I knew that once we properly met I would be wrapped round her little finger. I swung my legs as I sat there on my usual branch when I heard rushing feet and fingers seeking cracks in the tree bark. I froze and quietly swung my legs onto the branch and formed a crouch position.

'Nath?' I heard a feint voice whisper. I saw innocent eyes peek past the trunk of the tree. It was Emily. I waved her over as I relaxed and resumed my sitting position. 'Is this where you go all the time?' She whispered.

I nodded and a smile lit up my face. 'Why? Only a family lives here.'

'Because she lives here.' I said simply. She looked at me brows furrowed.

'Who?' She said curiously.

'Megan.' She lifted her eyebrows.

'Good luck with that because from what I know shes married.' I snorted. 'What's so funny!'

'I didn't say it was the woman.' She started laughing. I gave her a look and she pretended to wipe tears from her face. 

'So the guy is the reason you are here.' She said before laughing again. She hadn't changed at all.

'No, it's the eldest child.' That shut her up. She crawled across the branch which reached the furthest towards the house. She quickly turned her head back and leaped onto the roof of the house.

'What are you doing?!' I hissed. She smirked at me then dropped from the roof and carefully clung to the wall. She hoisted herself up onto the windowsill which had very little room and slipped her hand through the gap of the window. She opened it and swung inside. I quickly followed scared that she was going to do something.

She stood there smiling down at her. 'She looks a bit like her.' She said quiet enough for Megan to not hear.

'I know, she must be her doppelganger.'