Chapter 21 - Life Without Her

I felt miserable as the memories flooded back, I wish I had stayed in that coma just to escape the images following her death. I didn't even have her name to mourn over. I spent most days in my room just sat there, empty.

My heart would always try to pull me outside and into the woods but I would always resist, there was no point. She was gone and I was too slow to save her. In a sense I killed her.

I killed her.

It would echo in my mind over and over until I was close to smashing something. The rest of the coven that I belonged to would occasionally check on me but I think they just wanted to give me some space.

I didn't care about catching up with the modern world that I woke up to. I just sat there on a chair facing my small window, watching the world go by. The trees were bare and snow would fall quickly leaving a heavy layer upon the ground, birdsong filtered through the glass of the window but not even one of the things I loved could lighten my mood. Why would it? When the one I was destined to be with was just mere ash that had been swallowed up by the ground many years ago.

Jay, the curly haired unusually pale guy from the cell would try and talk to me and update me on what had happened over the years but I would never listen. I had barely seen Tom, Max and Abbie since recovering from the coma. Emily often came to my room to try and get me to drink a little blood but I always refused.

Today was no different. 

'Nath please just drink some. You're getting too weak.' She begged as she held out a mug of goats blood. I said nothing, I still looked out the window spotting signs of spring already. 

'FOR CRAP SAKE NATH GET A GRIP!' She shouted at me while smashing the mug on the floor. I looked at her for a split second then turned back to the window. I felt her grip on my shirt as she lifted me to my feet.

'Why are you doing this to yourself?' She said in a quiet, sad tone.

'Because there is nothing for me. I killed her.' My voice was lifeless, empty.

'Didn't you ever think of how much it would hurt me to watch you get like this?'  

'I don't care anymore.' Her eyes fell to look at the ground.

'You didn't know her Nath, she was a stranger.' Those very words caused something in me to snap. I gripped her neck and slammed her head against the wall.

'How dare you say that about my mate!' I growled through my teeth, my fangs extending and sharpening into deadly points.

*Emily's POV*

I held my tongue as I looked at what was left of Nathan, this wasn't him, he'd got rid of his caring side. My head didn't hurt but the wall must have been slightly dented from my head colliding it. I heard quick footsteps and in a fraction of a second Siva had grabbed Nathan pinning his hands behind his back as he growled in frustration, trying to thrash his way out of Siva's grip.

I landed gently on my feet and found Max, Tom and Jay at the door looking worredly at Nathan. Tom and Jay took hold of Nathan's arms and Siva was instantly in front of me checking my neck for any damage which would have been had for Nathan to do in his weakened state.

'Are you OK?' He said as he pulled me into his arms.

'I'm fine, why won't he just see he's hurting me by doing this?' He kissed the top of my head and sighed.

'He doesn't think about the life he had before he met her, he'll just feel the guilt of her death. I would have done far worse if I lost you.' I snuggled into his chest finding the comfort of his touch. The tingling sensations hadn't worn off even after all these years.

'I guess we'll just have to try and get the old Nathan back.' I sigh before making my way downstairs to a very concerned looking Abbie.

'What's going on?!' She said frowning. I looked up at Siva who just shrugged.

'Max will explain.' I say before deciding to go hunting with Siva in the woods.