f o r t y t w o

I stare at the two outfits laid on the bed. Never did I imagine to have the white box with a message sent to my door ever again. Zara plays in the living room. I hold the dress in front of me, looking in the mirror. "Micah," I sigh. "Red is your desired colour on me."

The seconds tick away, he'll be here in twenty minutes and we aren't ready. "Zara, baby, come on let's get ready."

She comes into the room holding her book. "Daddy come?"

"Yeh," I nod. "Daddy's taking us out. And daddy got you this cute little floral outfit."

Changing Zara and fixing her hair I let her run back into the other room to play while I get ready. Slowly, I do my hair and makeup, two things I haven't done in ages. I don't dress up and I don't go out to places to wear nice things.

Slowly changing I stare at myself in the mirror. I remember the days when Micah would buy me dresses, taking me out whenever he could or just spending the night at his place.

I know Micah must be waiting outside. I'm five minutes late to the time he asked me to be ready. Picking up Zara, my purse and phone and I lock up the apartment. Micah waits, leaning against the hood of his car in a complete black suit with a shiny gold watch that makes him stand out.

It's now when I remember how handsome the man is. "Daddy!" Zara says loudly, grabbing his attention. Micah looks up, smiling. With heels I struggle to make in down the stairs while holding Zara but the second I put her on the ground she runs to him.

"You look beautiful princess," he smiles kissing her. She smiles wrapping her arms around his neck. "You look beautiful as well."

"Thank you," I nod, turning my head. After all these years he still makes me feel everything I did when we first met. "I'm sorry, we're a few minutes later."

"Don't worry," Micah shakes his head. "I have something for you."

"Me?"

"Both of you." Micah reaches into his pocket, "just a little something for my princess."

I take the box from him, pulling the teal ribbon, inside silver bangle sits in the casing. "Micah, it's beautiful," I smile, taking it out to put on Zara. She gladly accepts it.

"I noticed you don't wear your cross," Micah comments.

I touch my chest where it used to sit. "I had to sell it, I had to pay off some things. I had no other choice."

"Here," Micah pulls out a simple silver chain with a cross encrusted with small diamonds.

Shaking my head I stare at it, "I can't."

Micah puts Zara on the ground, stepping behind me. He slips it over my neck, joining the clasp at the back. I sigh, turning to him. "Thank you, this does mean a lot to me."

He stares at me, brushing my hair back. I hesitate before putting my lips to the corner of his mouth, gently kissing him. He smiles, pressing his lips to my forehead. "I'll put Zara in her seat, take a break."

♔♔♔

I've never seen him the man be so polite. Maybe what he went through changed him, all I can say is that this Micah in front of my tonight- isn't the Micah I remember knowing all those years ago.