🌺Chapter Twelve🌺

"Love doesn't begin and end the way we seem to think it does. Love is a battle; love is a war. Love is growing up. -Zoe and the Beast

💕Serene's POV💕

Oh no.. It can't be true. Is he Caleb? All these years that I spent searching for him, he was so close to me. No, no, no. He can't be him. He can't be my dark prince. Sitting in front of me is the gray-eyed monster. Caleb Ian Somerhalder. We were silent for a moment. I thought of being the icebreaker, but he beat me to it. "What are you doing so early in the morning on a Sunday?" He narrowed his eyes. "I could ask you the same," I counter. He paused. Ha. Get that monster. I am smarter than you. "Who are you waiting for?" He asked me. Oh yeah, Caleb. I totally forgot to ask him about Caleb. It can't be a coincidence. It's too much of a coincidence. But if he is Caleb, why didn't he have a deer caught in headlights look instead of his cold, calm face? Or maybe he is a good actor. Stop overthinking. Say something before he thinks you are creepy. "No one. You just remind me of someone I know," I said while noticing his reaction. "Is this someone whom you are waiting for?" he asked. I nodded. "Who is he to you?" He asked with a dead serious expression. I have seen lots of shades of monsters. But this shade was something different. A little bit more scary. "He is a beautiful curse that couldn't be lifted from my heart. An unwaveringly addictive adventure," I said, holding my tears. I looked away from him. I didn't want him to see me in my most vulnerable state. He didn't say anything. He just looked at me with those eyes that bewitched me. As if he were trying to read and see the pain I am holding in. And all of a sudden, he laughed. He laughed in a mocking way. In an evil way. And I felt a pang of hurt in my chest. He was mocking me. Laughing at the very emotion I hold. And here I thought that underneath the rude boy lay a beautiful person. And I was so wrong. I was so wrong to even consider for a second that he was my dark prince. Every guy who sits in the dark with a piece of paper is not Caleb. I should have known that. I should have known guys like him couldn't be fixed. Because in the end, you will get hurt trying to fix him. I bit my cheeks to stop the tear from coming out. God, I hate my tear gland. He was still laughing. He put his papers in his bag. Zipped it. Slung over his arm. Without even acknowledging me, he walked away. He must have taken five or six steps when he stopped. He turned around and looked straight into my eyes and said, "Perhaps we all give the best of our hearts uncritically... to those who hardly think about us in return." I don't know why he said that. What does it mean? But the way he said that gave me a weird ache in my heart. Maybe he is right. Maybe he isn't. God.. Life was so simple earlier. Now it's messed up. I don't know where I'm going or where I'm supposed to go. Everything is blurry. The sun was coming up. I sighed. And headed home. Sunday was a Harry Potter movie marathon. Juliet and Stacy came. We had a little chat. gossips, of course. I was tired. So I told them I was going to sleep, so they left. I was not in the mood to write, Caleb. I had enough of the monster's drama. God, I hate him. I will never talk to him. Ever. Little did I know that God had different plans for me. So on Monday, after avoiding him the whole day, which, by the way, was easy because he is quite invisible, I ended up in the school library with him alone. Locked up. And to add cheer to the cake, a dead cell phone. Talk about life being sweet. I am so loving it. So let me take you back a few hours. I was sitting in my usual seat, which is in the corner. Only a few people come over here. I don't know how or when I fell asleep. And when I woke up. It was eerily quiet. Not that it shouldn't be. As it was a library, but this silence was scary. So when I ran towards the door, a pair of hands held my wrist. Oh great.. Who else? Our very own monster jerkface I raised my eyebrows, looking toward his hand on my wrist. I was going to tell him to leave it. When he said, "The door is locked from outside. We are struck here. Until someone finds us," what the hell? Great, just what I wanted; could it be any worse? And then the lights went out. Wow. My life is freaking awesome."