The Letter

It's the year 1979 and you and Michael have been friends for a long time. You have always had a bit of a crush on him, and over the last couple of months it have become more. You are, however, 100% sure that he doesn't feel the same way about you.

I finish eating the last bit of my cereal, and goes to the kitchen to wash the bowl. I enjoy the silence in the small apartment, enjoy the feeling of no one to judge me or tell me to do things or look at me with disappointed eyes. Enjoy the feeling of finally being free.

I moved out of my parents house only a month ago, and it still feels a bit unreal. But I don't complain, that's for sure! My parents are in the middle of a divorce, and things are not pretty, to say the least! 

Another good thing about moving out, is that now there's absolutely no one to tell me and my best friend, Michael, to go to bed, when we have our Disney-marathons. It's so much fun, really! I just love being with Michael, he makes me so happy! He's probably the only person I have ever met, who can always make me smile, and who have always been there for me.

I have to admit it, it's not just friendship from my side anymore. I've had a crush on him for the longest time, and well... It have not gotten smaller! When I'm alone, like now, I can't help but hope that maybe he feels the same way... But when I'm with him, I only see the same old Michael. Who loves me, I know he does, but as a friend. And that's ok, it really is. I'm not exactly what you would call a pretty girl - I don't care about my clothes, I never wear make-up, my hair is always in the same ponytail. And well, I gotta admit, I'm not exactly thin. Nice people call me chubby, less nice people say fat. But hey, I can take it. It's not like I don't know.

I'm not really a people-person either, and I really like just being alone. I know Michael likes that too, but there are always so many people around him when he's out in public, so it's not really possible. If it's not the fans, then it's bodyguards or - the worst of them all - the paparazzi!

With all that being said, I think it's clear why Michael can't possibly be interested in anything more than a friendship with me. I mean, he's sweet, he's the type who looks more at personality than looks... No! Now I'm just dreaming again. I gotta stop that.

I shake my head, as I put the now clean bowl back in the cupboard. I then goes to check if there's any mail - I promised my grandmother, that I would check every day. She's old, and can't really visit us that much anymore. She doesn't live that long away, about an hour of driving. But it's still too long that we just goes there every day, and especially right now with my parents divorce, it's hard to find time for that.

So she writes letters. She writes so many letters, I think she could keep the entire mail service busy by herself, even if everyone else stopped using it.

I go outside, with only a thin jacket over my nightclothes (that I haven't changed from, lazy, I know), and I shiver in the cold January-weather. I open the letter box, and to my surprise there's not only a letter from my grandmother, easy to recognize on the blue envelope, but also another one.

I take them both with me inside, speculating about who on earth would write a letter to me, other than my grandmother. I open the normal-looking white envelope and finds a card. It's very long, written on lined paper. It says:

Dear Gry

There's something I have to tell you. Please don't be mad at me, I have been trying my best to keep it in, keep it away. But now I can't do it anymore.

I love you.

I feel in love with you the moment I saw you the first time, and it have only become more over the past years.