Zebras and feelings

This story is for a new and wonderful friend of mine, @MichaelNpeterpanlove. I know it ended up a bit weird, but I hope you like it!

It's the year 1987, and you and Michael have been friends for many years. However, it have never been more than friends. You live alone, but often visit Michael at his home, Neverland.

Ring! Ring!

The insisting sound of my phone ringing echoes throughout the house, and I'm running in the direction of it. It's 9 in the morning, and since it's Saturday, I thought I could be able to sleep in late. But no, some annoying person just has to call me, and drag me out of bed to answer the phone, that I don't even know where is.

I finally find my phone, on the kitchen table, and picks it up.

"What?!" I say annoyed.

"Morning lovely" My best friends happy voice says through the phone. "Wanna come over today? I have something I wanna show you"

I immediately feel my anger melting away, being replaced with guilt over talking to him like that.

"Sure" I answer, in a much more happy tone than before. There just is something about Michael, he seems to always be able to make me smile. "Can I ask what it is?"

"It was supposed to be a surprise, but..." I hear him say, and it's clear in his voice that I can talk him into telling me.

"Pleeeeease?" I beg. I can almost hear the big smile in his voice, when he tells me:

"The zebra have given birth! We have a baby zebra now!"

"Really?!" I exclaim. That zebra have been pregnant for 13 months now, and me and Michael have both been so excited to see the baby.

"Yes!" He answers, equally as excited as me.

"I'm on my way!" I say, before hanging up the phone.

I hurries back to my bedroom and changes from my pajamas to some normal clothes, and then runs out of the door to my car, only just remembering to lock the house before I leave. Every trace of tiredness has disappeared.

When I drive my car through the gates of Neverland, I can't help but admire the beauty around me. All the grass and trees and flowers... But then it's all pushed from my mind, as I park the car, and see a familiar figure walking towards me. All the wonderful nature around me suddenly doesn't seem so important anymore; not even the prettiest flower would have moved my gaze away from the man, who now stands in front of me.

He's smiling widely, and I gladly return it, for then to pull him in for a hug. The soft scent from his hair tingles my nose, and I'm in absolute heaven when he shortly pecks my cheek, before letting go of me.

Yes, I am in love with my best friend.

"Come on!" He says, and I follow him to the zoo and the zebras cage. When I look inside it, the first thing I see is a mini-zebra, that's trying to walk.

I feel my heart melting at the sight of the adorable, little baby, trying it's legs for the first time. It's clumsy, and doesn't really know how to do it yet. But the stubborn little creature still keeps on trying, falls and gets up again, walks a few steps then trips over its own legs.

"It's so cute!" I say, not being able to take my eyes off it for a second. When I do anyways, I look up at Michael, expecting him to be looking at the zebra, his eyes wide in wonder and a happy smile lighting up his face. But instead he's looking at me. He quickly turns his head, when I catch his eyes, and I see his cheeks turn slightly pink.