Sick

It's the year 1991, and you and Michael have been together for a couple of years. You're not married, but you suspect that he might think of proposing. You have absolutely no problem with that. You live together at Neverland. It's a cold January-day, and you have been in the bed with fever and a very bad cold for the past two days.

"Argh!" I scream out of pure frustration. I just wanted to get up and get some chips or something, but the moment I stood up from the couch, the whole room started spinning, causing me to sit down again. "I hate being sick" I mumble under my breath, knowing very well that no one can hear me. I just have a habit of talking to myself.

I sit on the edge of the couch, pouting a bit. Then I finally, defeated, lay back and start a show on Netflix. Again. Just like I have done for the past two days.

Suddenly the door slams, and I feel my mood rising from frustrated to finally happy. Michael is home. I listen to the sound of him taking off his jacket and hanging it on the peg. Then he takes off the shoes. And now, I hear the sound of steps, coming from the door, through the kitchen, before finally getting into the living room where I am.

"Hey Michael! Finally home!" I say to him with a big smile.

"Yes, finally. It's been a long day." He says with a tired, but still real smile. "How are you? Any better?" He asks with a suddenly concerned voice.

"I'm fine, Michael" I assure him. He still looks worried, and I continue before he can say anything: "Just... not as fine as usually. It's okay, I will be"

He sits down on the couch beside me. "Are you sure?"

"Of course I am, or else I wouldn't say it. I'm just bored! I can't do anything but lay here and watch TV. It's driving me crazy!"

He looks at me with compassion in his eyes. "You know what? I'm gonna make some dinner, and then we can play a game. How does that sound?"

"Good" I answer with a small smile. "Except for the dinner part. I'm sorry but I really don't think I can eat anything..."

"No problem" he answers, "I'm gonna find..." he looks at me for a hint to what game we should play. "Uno!" he exclaims, and I light up with a smile.

"Sounds great!" I answer. He smiles and squeezes my hand briefly, before walking away to find the game. I just sit on the couch and smile. What have I ever done to deserve someone as loving as him??

Shortly after Michael comes back into the living room with chips, cola, two glasses and a pile of Uno cards on a tray. He sits down beside me, and I smile at him, trying to let my eyes tell him how much I appreciate everything he does for me. How much I love him. How extremely happy and thankful I am that he is mine, and no one elses.

He smiles back at me, seemingly understanding what I was trying to say. He bends down a bit to kiss me on the forehead.

"Michael! I have told you not to kiss me right now, you could get sick too!"

"I don't care. I have been going two, whole days without kissing you! I can't possible keep it any longer. And besides, it was only on the forehead. I don't think there's a big chance of me getting sick because of that."

"Okay... but if you are sick tomorrow, it's your own fault!"

"Sure. I'll take the blame" he says with a big grin, that I can't help but return.

We start playing our game, and it's really nice to finally do something else than watching TV. And I really enjoy spending time with Michael. He works so much on his new album at the time. One time Michael get so frustrated with me giving him a +4 cards, that he by accident push the whole stack of cards onto the floor. He picks them up fast, to the sound of me laughing at him. He then takes four, and the game continues. But, after 35 minutes and three failures in a row, I get tired of Uno. Michael agrees, with a small smile that almost looks like he thinks he won or anything - ridiculous thought. Well, but he agrees to put down the game and watch a movie.

"I thought you were tired of movies and TV??" He asks with a teasing glimpse in his eyes.

"Well, I'm more tired of Uno right now!" I reply, and he just smiles.

I sit down on the couch, and Michael quickly finds all the Disney movies. He asks me to choose one, but I don't know, don't want to choose. I'm just tired, just want to see something.

"Okay. Then you choose a number between..." He checks how many there is. "One and 34"

"Okay..." I say, "27"

"27 it is, then. Let me see..." He answers, as he counts down the stack to find number 27. "The Aristocats!"

The film starts, and we just sit and watch it in silence. I feel Michael take my hand under the blanket, and I just hold it. I sit very close to him, feeling the warmth that comes from him. He puts one arm around my shoulder, and I rest my head on his.

I sit and play with one of Michaels curls, and all of sudden I realize that I'm not paying any attention to the movie. I look up at him, and sees that his eyes are closed, making me assume that he's asleep. I let go of his hair, not wanting to wake him up.

"No, don't stop!" He says, suddenly opening his eyes. I smile at him and roll my eyes at his sudden crave for affection.

"It's your own fault, you're the one who won't let me kiss you!" He defends himself with a little smile.

"Well, maybe I should just let you, then?" I say in a questioning voice.

"Oh no! I could get sick too!" He says in a bad imitation of my voice, teasingly repeating my words from earlier.

"Shut up, you. It's not like you're the only one who finds it hard!"

He smiles at me, that beautiful smile I've been in love with since I first saw him. Without any more words he bends down to kiss me softly yet passionate on the lips. When we finally break apart, I can't help but smile.

Maybe it's not that bad to be sick after all.