6. Fruit of the poisoned tree

I slowly woke up letting the light coming from the window burst against my eyes. I quickly remembered what happened yesterday. No. I'm not going to be pathetic like last night. I'm not going to care at all actually.

I got dressed and then walked downstairs and into the living room. Elijah and Klaus were sitting on opposite armchairs, reading books. Then I noticed the dead girl on the table in front of Elijah. I raised my eyebrow.

'' So, this is what you do the first time we're back together as a family? Vampire book club?'' I asked and Elijah looked at me smiling. Klaus never bothered to look at me though. Then Rebekah came in from the kitchen.

''Yeah that's what I said myself.'' she said and sat on a couch.

'' Reading edifies the mind, sisters. Isn't that right, Elijah?'' Klaus said, emphasizing the word 'sisters'. What's his problem.

'' Yes, that's quite right, Niklaus. Though Amy and Rebekah are right.'' Elijah said and looked at me. I smiled and looked at Klaus who looked at Elijah annoyed.

'' And what's this business?'' I asked and pointed at the dead girl on the coffee table.

'' This is a...'' Elijah said searching the right words to say. ''peace offering.'' he then finished and I raised my eyebrow.

'' I presumed, after so much time desiccating in a coffin, that my big brother might be a bit peckish.'' Klaus said.

'' And I explained to my little brother, that forgiveness cannot be bought. I'd simply prefer to see a change in behavior that indicates contrition, and personal growth.'' Elijah said and Klaus rolled his eyes guiltily.

'' Not this nonsense.'' Elijah finished gesturing at the girl on the table.

'' Well, I couldn't very well let her go to waste, could I? Though, I noticed you found her quite...tasty.'' Klaus said and I chuckled earning a look from both of them.

'' Well, I suppose I'll go fetch the rubbish bin, because she's staining a two hundred-year-old carpet.'' Rebekah said and got up.

''Oh no. Not the carpet guys! Come on!'' I said and sighed looking at the blood falling on the carpet. Elijah looked above his book the blood staining the carpet and nodded.

''Ah yes.'' Elijah said and I rolled my eyes, getting up and walking to find Rebekah.

After talking to Rebekah I went to the kitchen only to find Hayley making breakfast and Elijah leaning on the wall.

'' Listen, I know I'm the only one in this house that actually drinks milk, but would it kill any of you to make sure it's on the grocery list?'' Hayley said searching for milk.

'' Speaking of, add bleach.'' I said and gave some napkins to Rebekah who entered and left immediately the room to go clean the carpet.

'' You know, I do hope my siblings were hospitable to you, in my absence.'' Elijah said digging around the cupboard.

''I'm not included in them so, don't say a word.'' I said to Hayley. Elijah looked at me immediately.

'' n your absence, as you like to call it, which is a way-too-polite way of saying that your brother put a dagger in your heart... I have been attacked by French Quarter vampires, I've had to live in a house with a secret dungeon full of coffins, and I was nearly murdered by witches who are convinced my baby is Lucifer.'' Hayley said as Elijah made her breakfast.

'' Oh...milk.'' she said noticing the milk Elijah had put inside the bowl of cereals.

'' They've been fine. Your siblings are weirdly protective, I know I have you to thank for that.'' Hayley said and then looked at me. I saw fear in her eyes. Probably she remembered that night when I almost eat Sophie and her.