01

Chapter 01 : This just can't get any worse!

***

||Aarohi||

I sit on the chair beside my mom and gulp nervously as Dr. Raj is checking my reports. With each second passing I could see my mom's heart beating fast than usual. The silence in the room was so strong that the ticking sound of the clock was ringing in my ears again and again.

I intertwined my fingers with hers and gave an assuring smile, but still she didn't seem to calm down. Finally Raj looked up from the reports and towards us. Mom instantly asked,"She's fine now, right?" He took a deep breath before saying,"This just can't get any worse."

In a millisecond tears started falling from my mom's eyes. She looked at me and shaked her head, running out. I got up to go after her when Raj stopped me,"Wait, Aarohi settle down. Let's talk."

"But mom-" I spoke but he cut me off,"Give her some time, she'll come back." I nodded slowly and sat back down.

||Shubman||

Inhaling the familiar addictive air of the cigarette I let out a small laugh at my failure, once again. Ever since the world cup ended all I've been is a failure, not only in cricket but also as a son, brother, friend and person.

I feel my cigarette been snatched away from me and I look up to see Abhay and Manjot looking at me angrily and worriedly at the same time. I roll my eyes before asking for the cigarette back. Manjot hit my forehead while saying,"Are you fucking stupid? Got any brains or burnt them with this cigarettes of yours huh!"

I look away trying to control my anger when Abhay put his hand on my shoulder and said,"Dude, I know it has been hard for you. But look this way, this is your last chance. Do you understand how important this chance is for you? If anyone catches you smoking while practicing, they'll kick you out of the team without even thinking twice-"

I cut him off,"Oh cut the crap. I know all this. I know what I'm doing, so just give it back!" Kamlesh came from behind them and excitedly said,"Shubh, your girlfriend is here."

A smile automatically escaped my lips. Riya, the only person who knows me better than anyone. We've been friends for more than 11 years, best of friends for around 8 years and lovers for 5 years. The only person who has the ability of making me feel normal in any situation is she, doesn't matter how hard or difficult the situation is.

"Where is she?" I ask with my eyes desperately searching for her.

Kamlesh said pointing at the changing room,"There" I nodded and ran towards the changing room. I entered the door which was already open. I looked everywhere but she wasn't in the room. If this was all just a prank I swear I'll kill Kamlesh. I turn around to leave and kick his ass when I heard the ringtone of a phone, Riya's phone.

Following the ringtone I reached the balcony of the room. There she was standing opposite, with her back facing to me. Wearing a small cute jumpsuit and hair open made her look beautiful even from the back. I smiled and looked at her as she picked up the call and started talking.

I didn't pay attention to what she was saying, I was too busy in taking in her beauty and thinking about how special I feel around her. Suddenly these words brought me to reality,"Of course I like Shubhman." I smiled as I had no idea about what I'll hear next.

"But I love you Kabir. I like Shubhman but only as a friend. I'm with him only because he's my best friend from long time now and I don't wanna hurt him. Plus he's growing famous and rich, I can't miss out on him! Try to understand I'll break up soon, promise!"

I was shocked would be an understatement. I could literally feel my heart breaking into pieces. Not able to stand anymore, I slide down on the wall and close my eyes tightly, not wanting the tears to fall down.

Out of all the people I never imagined Riya cheating on me. I've dated many girls but the feelings I had for Riya was the strongest. It was not just love but also friendship. It was trust, caring, honesty. She promised me that she would never hurt me like others and unlike other people she would keep her promise, but she didn't. Just like others she broke it too. Just like others she hurt me too. Just like others she too made me doubt on myself.

I heard a ding on my phone indicating a message -

'Shubman, I'm sorry but 50% chance is that you're dropped for the next series.'

I've lost my career, love and that means I've lost literally everything. No person is honest in this world. No person is real in this world. All are fucking liars, all are fake!

This just can't get any worse!

_______

Vote and comment
Let me know if any grammatical mistakes you find.