23

||Aarohi||

I was getting ready for my second therapy session. I still couldn't get over how painful the first session was. It burned so much. I was tired but not even once Shubh asked about the session.

I don't blame him. He was so happy by his selection that he completely forgot, and it was okay. In fact I'm happy that he's finally able to prioritize cricket at the top.

After tying my hair I went downstairs to wait for Shubman to arrive. Mom was downstairs, playing ludo with dad. Upon hearing my footsteps they stopped playing and looked at me.

"Ready to go?" mom asked.

I nodded and went to sit with them saying,"Yeah, all ready. Just waiting for Shubman to arrive."

Just after saying his name, my phone rang. It was him. I picked up with a smile and said,"Hello?"

"Hey Aarohi, where are you?" he asked.

"I'm at home waiting for you, why?" I replied.

He hesitated a little,"Umm about that, these past few days I've been busy with practice and I completely forgot to inform you."

I asked,"About what?"

I heard some other voices in the background which were telling him to hurry up,"I'm leaving today."

I couldn't say anything for a while. "Where?" I managed to ask.

"Kolkata." he replied.

"Oh." I said slowly.

He said getting panicked,"Listen, I'm really sorry. I should have told you this earlier. But it's our two day practice over there after which they'll select the playing 11"

I smiled and said,"Hey, don't be sorry. I'm so happy for you! I'm sure you'll get selected, all the best!"

He might have went somewhere else as suddenly the background voices disappeared,"Let's meet before I leave?"

I looked at the clock and sighed saying,"I can't. If I don't leave now, I'll miss my second session."

"Right." he said immediately.

Before I could say anything else he continued,"Then let's meet at the hospital? I'll come there and then directly leave for the airport from there."

"But wouldn't you get late?" I asked worryingly.

"Nope. Everything else can wait if it involves you." he replied.

I couldn't stop myself from smiling like an idiot in front of my parents. I said getting serious,"No Shubman, let me correct that- everything else except cricket can wait when it involves you. There you go! Also, promise me it'll always remain like this?"

He chuckled and said,"And you promise me that you'll sincerely do this therapy sessions and not stop till you get better?"

"I promise." I said with a sad smile.

"Then I promise too!" he said brightly.

My dad got up with his car keys motioning me to get up and leave with him for the hospital. I said hurriedly,"Hey I'm getting really late now, I'll talk later!"

||Shubman||

These past few days were so hectic that I completely forgot about my Aarohi. I looked at my unpacked bags and then at the clock. If I leave now, I'll have 10 minutes to meet her before leaving again for the airport. I quickly packed my bags and left.

I asked the cab driver to drive as quickly as possible. Upon reaching the hospital I asked him to wait outside as I only had around 10 minutes to meet her. If I don't leave after that, I would miss my flight.

I ran inside and directly went towards the room where she had her first session. It was on the second floor. Instead of taking the elevator, I took the stairs as it would be quick. But to my luck, neither was she and nor were her parents on that floor.

I tried calling her phone but she didn't pick up. I ran towards the receptionist and asked her if she knew where Aarohi was. She immediately recognized me as the 'crazy boyfriend' and told me she was on the seventh floor.

I looked at the elevator and it was on the tenth floor, so again to reach there quickly I ran upstairs. Reaching the seventh floor, I took a few deep breathes and looked around in an attempt to see her tiny figure. I didn't find her but I definitely found her dad sitting on a sofa in front of a room.

I walked towards him and said,"Hey, Mr Modi!"

He looked up and smiled saying,"Oh hey! I thought you weren't going to come?"

I looked at my watch and saw that I had just five minutes left. I said hurriedly,"Yeah, I wasn't gonna come since I have to leave but I couldn't go without seeing her once. Where is she?"

He pointed to the room and said,"In there, but now we'll have to wait."

I shaked my head and desperately said,"No please. I can't wait for more than five minutes or I'll miss my flight. Please let me see her, just once, please!"

He put a hand on my shoulder and helplessly said,"I'm sorry Shubman, I don't think we can do anything. They won't allow anyone inside or won't even stop the session in middle. Please understand?"

I shaked my head repeatedly and sighed saying,"My mind is understanding what you're saying, but it's my heart. What do I do? Please, do something!"

He went towards the receptionist of the floor and said something while I silently prayed to meet her. I looked at my watch and there wasn't any time left. Her dad came back with disappointment on his face and shaked his head. I rubbed my eyes and forehead in frustration.

His dad made me look at him by pulling my hand away and said,"Look I know you desperately want to meet her but as you saw, that's not possible. Also I think you need to leave now, that's what Aarohi would want too. I'll let her know you did indeed came to meet her, she'll be happy."

I held his hand and asked,"Really? You'll really let her know, right? Please remind her that she has promised me that she'll get better and meet me after the IPL!"

He smiled and patted my back saying,"Yeah, I'll pakka let her know. Also, I don't know if you remember or not but we're living in the 21st century, there are phones available!"

I embarrassingly smiled and said,"You're right! I completely forgot!"

He laughed and said,"Go now or you'll miss your flight. All the best, make all of us proud but remember play only for yourself."

I nodded and hugged him. After bidding bye I left, this time using an elevator. Even though I couldn't meet or see her today, I'll definitely do later. And when that later comes, we'll both be in a much better situation and a much much better place.

___________

I don't think I've ever updated this quickly 😂

Now only two more chapters (including epilogue) are left, I can't believe this is coming to an end finally! :(

Vote and comment your thoughts, I love reading them ♥️

Please stay safe and take care of yourself and your loved ones ✨