The Final 3

Cato leaves once Thresh's cannon sounds, heading in the direction of the metal horn. I take a shorter route, walking to the same place he is. A howl makes itself heard to the final 3, but it doesn't sound natural. I ignore it and turn my walk into a jog, the sooner I get there the sooner my plan can be put into action.

The anthem plays and Foxface's face appears followed by Thresh. I wonder if Thresh could've said more he would've. Make some comment about Rue's death and whatnot.

Obviously its still dark when I reach the bloodbath graveyard. Katniss nor Cato are in sight so I can still work out my plan. I run into the surprisingly hot and hollow inside of Foxface's recent feast hiding place. A rustle in the trees catches my eye and Katniss spits out, tripping over a pedestal. I stay put and wait for Cato.

Mr. Rogers comes flying out of the forest in full body armor with a look of horror on his face. Thats new. For one, since when does Mr. Career get scared, two, where did he get full body armor on such short notice. Katniss spots him and gets an arrow ready. He scrambles up the curved silver surface, and doesn't bother to acknowledge her.

I turn to the woods and see what hes running from. A pack of Capital created wolf mutts are sprinting in our direction. I run out of my hiding place and crawl up the side as fast as my legs will allow. Katniss gets the point and does the same, bringing her loaded bow and quiver of arrows with her.

The three of us watch as the mutts jump and paw at the top, trying to get us. No one is doing anything so I take a close look at the wolves. They aren't so much wolf, more giant dog. The odd thing is their look. They range in all hair colours, eye colours and size. A red fured, blue eyed beast catches my eye. It, as do they all, wears a collar with a number made of jewels.

The sparkling numbers reflect in the moonlight, shining like diamonds, a thing I rarely see. The red fured mutt has the number 5 on the collar. I understand then that the mutts look like the dead tributes, or are the dead tributes. Its been too long since anyone's moved so I spin around.

I find Katniss and Cato playing a game of shoot and deflect. Cato has lost his arm armor and helmet in the mini battle already, but he didn't seem to notice. I take one of my knives and throw it at him. It skins his nose and blood pours down his face. He turns to me eyes wide.

"You trying to protect your girlfriend?" He asks facing me and spitting out blood. "I don't think she needs saving." I look at him confused and he dives for my legs. He latches on and tips me over. I struggle in his grasp but eventually kick him in the face and crawl away.

He gets a smirk on his face and dives for Katniss this time. I watch him get her in a choke hold and stand on the edge. Her bow and quiver are laying too far away, near Cato's feet. She looks at me pleadingly, her lungs begging for air. I take a step forwards and he tightens his grip. I step back and he slightly loosens.

"What are you gonna do now?" He asks. I hold my axe in one hand and position it to throw. "Go ahead, you hit either one of us, we both go down and you win. You know I've always wanted to die, I didn't know it till now but, at this point its together or not at all right?" I see it then, Katniss's hand slowly creeping up, an arrow curled between her fingers.

I stand staring as Katniss, in one smooth motion, stabs Cato's hand, spins around and punches him in the gut, and knocks him off the edge into the sea of mutts. She drops to her knees and listens to Cato's screams. I get tired of hearing them quickly, as does Mrs. Everdeen. She picks up her weapon and fires a shot, hitting the third place tribute right in the heart.

The mutts disperse and Cato has magically disappeared with them. The sky lightens and I slide down the fire hot metal surface. Katniss does the same with a look of sorrow on her face. I turn to her and understand the situation.

"Go ahead." I say hoping she knows what I mean.

"Peeta I can't. I won't." I walk up and put my hands on her shoulders.

"You have a mother, and sister, and Gale, and a life back in twelve, I don't. Go ahead." I say in my most sincere voice. She pushes of my arms and shakes her head, tossing her weapons as far as she can.

"I won't." She replys, and I know thats her final decision.

"Well if you won't, I will." I pull the poison berries out of my pocket, shove them in my mouth, and the world goes dark.

End Of Book One

A/N
Stay tuned for alternate ending and alternate ending epilogue